Monday, November 16, 2009

AZ Sunday, On our own

On Sunday morning Kate and I bid Mandy and Ryan goodbye and set off north towards Sedona. It was a nice drive and as we climbed in elevation we saw the cactus change from scrub brush and eventually to trees. The first day on the road started off with a ding in the windshield which was a bummer. A rock was kicked up by an 18 wheeler passing us at some point. Luckily, so far to my knowledge I have not been charged for windshield repair.

Our first stop along the journey was Montezuma's Castle. The pueblo is an impressive 1000 year old cliff dwelling. It was a introduction to many Pueblos that we would get to see along the journey.

After walking a short trail at Montezuma's Castle and taking in the visitor's center, we once again hit the road and headed toward Sedona. Sedona was set in a surreal location in the middle of towering piles of red rock and ledge rounded by the ages. The town itself was certainly interesting. It is a contemporary version of the tourist traps that used to dot Historic Rt. 66 as well as many major interstates throughout the country. Tacky brightly covered gift shops, attractions, and mystic and psychic stores line the road. Sedona is a hot spot for those who believe in certain types of alternative medicine and spirituality. Believers think it is a hot spot for "vortexes" (not vortices). A vortex is said to be a swirling energy center that can affect people positively who are near it. As a result of this belief the town attracts a large new age contingency. We drove through the town to get to Red Rock State Park.
Here we are with our trail refreshments. Soda like the true city slickers. And for me this trip will mark an end to my regular soda consumption. After an unfortunate dentist experience, that of course should have been avoided, I'm cutting back by about 90%. But anyway, in Red Rock State park we could not have asked for a better day. Nice and warm, crystal skies, and who knows, perhaps some good vibes from a vortex or two. As soon as I took this picture I commented that the shadows made Kate look like some strange Star Trek alien. Well perhaps not that strange, they always are Hominid form.

Self-shot, part way up the peak!

Kate is looking out at the view. My sneakers are still filled with red dust from the trip.

There I am with my vice in hand.

I wish I was here right now!

A candid moment along the trail.
Prickly Pear! Makes me think of the "Old Yeller" because it was featured in the story. This stuff was everywhere. I definitely found myself being much more cautious than the George of a few years ago. In the past I had bound down hiking trails or sat upon a ledge. I just really didn't have it in me this time, and admittedly Kate was the brave one when it came to getting close to a cliff. But perhaps it isn't just me being old, perhaps it is because around here if you fall down you bump yourself up on some rocks, or get caught on a tree. In many of the places we went if I fell I'd come out looking like a pin cushion, or worse, I'd just be dead.



After hiking for a few hours and checking out the visitor's center we headed back to town and checked into the Hotel. For supper we ate at a Mexican restaurant per request of the staff. Casa Bonita, a small local chain had some great food, however like many things in Sedona, it was in a strip mall. After dinner we walked around a little bit, and then ended up exploring the town in the car. The narrow road with periodic rotaries that heads through town gave me the feeling that I was on one of those "antique car" tracks at an amusement park. The town was dead, and almost everything was closed because it was Sunday. We had fun however, the night was beautiful, the stars were bright and the cliffs were dark and imposing against the night sky. When we got back to the hotel we decided to go for a swim in the pool. The pool was outside, and it took a little coaxing on my part to get Kate to go out. There was a Jacuzzi as well, however in the Sedona valley, the desert cools off fast at night. It probably was only in the mid 50s out. However as I suspected the pool and Jacuzzi felt great once we got in. After swimming for 40 minutes or so Kate checked out the TV listings on the hotel computer, and then we headed up to the room to rest up for a new day.

No comments: