Sunday, August 09, 2009

P.M. in front of the Monstah!!

As some of you know, I fulfilled one of my dreams of seeing Paul McCartney this past week. I invited my Aunt Gigi to go with me, who I've been lending music to through the years. I was very close to her as a child and I really looked forward to giving her the opportunity to see Paul, and spending some time together, which we don't get to do very often anymore.
(Picture shows the approximate view from our seat behind Pesky's pole- as you see we arrived early, however the weather was spectacular, so it was all good! This was taken with my cell phone which was all I brought, I was totally kicking myself when it was apparent they were letting people take pictures with real cameras!)
McCartney performed Fenway park to a energetic crown that spanned all generations. The opening act was fairly well received, despite being a new generation of artists represented in NYC band "M.G.M.T.". They have a sound that at times seems to reflect both Mick Jagger and Prince. A crowd of enthusiastic women danced in front of the stage during the act, and I didn't hear any baby-boomers hissing, which was a good thing.

McCartney played a nice mix of tunes that contained selections from almost all of his career.





I found this clip of live & let die which apparently was taken at the show I was at, which actually doesn't quite capture the craziness of the pyrotechnics during this song. The initial flame throwers near the start of the song were pretty much blinding. Tsk tsk.. not very green Paul. Who am I kidding, I was totally into the spectacle... this from someone who generally prefers intimate clubs and smaller venues.

A link to the song list, which I question its accuracy. Paul McCartney Fenway Park - night 2, full soundcheck, show report (set list) - photo slideshow #1

I'm really convinced that McCartney played Hi hi hi at this show... second tune, which I wasn't familiar with.. (Hi hi hi or not, I'm certain a song is missing from the link) but upon trying to figure out what tune it was, I'm fairly certain that was it. However, maybe I'm high, because I can't seem to find it on any of the lists I've found. Then again, the other list I did not link to had "Michelle" amongst it, and I know that was not played... because I was anticipating a potential dedication to Mrs. Obama, which I thankfully, did not have to endure.

The show was great, and I could detail every bit of it, but alas, no one probably wants to hear that. Favorite moments? Well McCartney is a funny and engaging guy, so his general stage demeanor is far above pretty much any other performer I've seen, who usually limit their talking to thanking the band, or commenting on something rather mundane like the weather. I did like "here today" a tribute to John, which is admittedly, sappy. A sped up version of Paperback writer really cooked. A jam at the end of "Let me roll it" leading into Hendrix's "Foxy Lady" was good stuff. McCartney performed "Calico Skies" which is another tune I was unfamiliar with, however I think it stands with some of his best work. Its simplicity is its strength, as is often true with McCartney's songs.





I had taken Thursday and Friday off so I had a great long weekend. I took a couple of swims at the Melrose pool. Saturday night I saw Julie & Julia, which was a light hearted drama. Meryl Steep did a nice job portraying Julia Child. Kate and I went kayaking today, so a very full weekend. I am very, very tired, so, alas, I must retire and get my beauty sleep for Monday.

No comments: