Sunday, October 18, 2009

Porto, Portugal (Oporto)

I wanted to devote a better post to Porto (Oporto) Portugal which I managed to visit on my last work trip to Spain. On one hand it was very old, gritty, at time very poor, and yet the people seemed warm with a certain charm that I suspect has persevered over many generations. The architecture was everything from grand, to quaint and shabby, the landscape rugged, scarred, and some what untamed despite the substantial influence of human-kind. All of these characteristics make Porto the most exotic place I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. I may add more to this post, as there is just so much to say I about what little of this spectacular city I managed to take in. And yes, if you are wondering, I did have a glass of Port while there. Enjoy!

Clérigos Church is one of the most famous structures in Porto, I would climb its tower. (related pictures further on)





Tower below is part of the old wall surrounding a portion of Porto. Dates to the 12th century.

FISH!!!


Dom Luís Bridge, perhaps the most imposing of all of the bridges crossing the Douro River. It carries the subway (metro) across the top and automobiles across the bottom. I snapped the picture of the tunnel entrance (above, 5th from top) as I was walking across the top deck.

From atop the tallest building in Portugal, Clérigos Church tower, which rises approximately 20 stories above Porto's streets, and perhaps even higher given its location on a hill. The stairs at the top are really narrow, and I admit, that the height and a flimsy stair case railing were a bit intimidating, and I am someone typically not bothered by this.


Looking up the hill at Clerigos Church.

Some typical tile-faced dwellings in old Porto. Amazingly I am taking this picture from another street to give you a feel for the completely erratic landscape.


One of many stunning steel bridges across the Douro River. Notice the tiny homes built along the cliffs. I really was dumbfounded by this city, it was like something from a fictional story or a Peter Jackson or Lucas CGI creation.


This railroad bridge Maria Pia which is actually designed by Gustave Eiffel of Eiffel tower fame.


No comments: