Monday, August 16, 2010

Lost a Week of My Life?

Yeah so I just had (have) some sort of bacterial bronchitis, but truthfully it sort of feels like I lost a week of my life. Plans were made and derailed.

I actually felt it coming on the weekend before last but wasn't officially in the throws of the illness, thankfully. Kate and I had a great time biking around the cape with Tim. We spent some good time swimming at Bank St. beach in Harwich, and Nauset Beach. Bank St. had warm gentle water, while Nauset had 59°F water and fierce waves that knocked the wind out of you. Both were a great time, but Bank St. was a little easier to handle, and calm enough to throw a ball around in.

So I thought my tickle would simply disappear in a couple of days. I was incorrect. Every time I thought I was "turning the corner" so to speak, the following evening seemed worse. I took Wednesday of last week off, and ended up leaving work early on Friday. Aside from decommissioning one of my old computers and preparing it for recycling or the dump my accomplishments were next to nothing.

Tuesday I watched District 9 through Netflix, which is a fantastic sci-fi movie by Peter Jackson. It managed to be corny, have great special effects, and have layers of philosophy to it all at the same time. As I was coughing up phlegm days after seeing this movie I inevitably sat around thinking about my mortality. I ruminated on how one needs to make the best use of the time that lies ahead of you that you can manage. We are in a constant state of change, and we should never take present day for granted.

But then again, perhaps I should have made better use of my time between coughing, breaking blood vessels in my eyes, and popping cough drops.

Regretfully I went to the Doctor's office today and they supplied me with some antibiotics. Hopefully they will help me clear up. He didn't think anything I have was too serious, I suspect I'm on the mend (although I thought that before). I hate to imagine a "serious" respiratory condition.

My hope for the future, to have my voice back, and to perhaps bike into work before the week is over.

The worst part about this is I haven't seen Kate since the Cape Cod trip because I cancelled our last couple times together due to my current affliction. So that will be the highlight of my week going forward.

So no politics for today... I'm too tired. I think the unmade bed is beckoning to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon and that you aren't turning into an alien. -Kevin

George N. Parks said...

Me too!