Monday, January 04, 2010

NYC 2009 - arrival

As I've mentioned briefly in a prior post, Kate and I decided to spend a few days in the Big Apple after the holidays. I met Kate in NYC, I took the Fung Wah, a Chinatown bus which is $15 in each direction. It dropped me off right at the entrance to the Manhattan Bridge in the heart of Chinatown. I arrived a bit earlier than Kate and wondered around the Bowery for a while after dropping off my luggage at the Comfort Inn we were staying at, which was steps from the bus stop. By bus stop, I mean spot between the Chinese grocery stores and knock off Rolex sellers where they hastily put your luggage on the sidewalk and send you on your way.

The Comfort Inn is the newer building with the blue awning.



As Kate would probably arrive an hour after me, I burnt some time getting a sandwich from the Popeye's Chicken pictured above. I was in no mood to find a good dumpling place because it seemed like it would involve too much mental exertion, and I was rather tired.

This water tank pictured below was our view from the hotel window. It was actually visibly leaking, which can't be very cost effective depending on what the purpose of the tank is.
Kate smiling next to the the TV. Kate's desire to watch the food channel after a day of walking is basically all that I need to convince her that a "cheap" Manhattan hotel is better than a hostel. Yes, I take full responsibility for at least partially spoiling Kate's frugality when it comes to hotel rooms. If I was 18, I could probably handle the hostel, but I find my extra comfort is worth a little extra cash.
Not that we aren't budget travelers. Every time we've gone to NYC we have found an excellent deal. This place was very clean, located a block from the subway, brand new, and they included Breakfast in the cost of the room. Previously we had to sacrifice either distance or amenities for our budget. This time we found a good compromise. We may very well be return customers some day.

After relaxing, checking out the room, and eating some of my Aunt Gigi's brownies that I had packed in my suitcase, Kate and I came up with a game plan and headed out on the town.
To be Continued....

No comments: