Thursday, June 25, 2009

RIP King of Pop

Well I can't say I was particularly surprised by the death of Michael Jackson, but it does seem quite surreal. As a small child he was my idol, as an adult, I abhorred him, whether it be the troubling allegations or his reputation of stabbing anyone in the back including his own family. As a Beatles fan, and in particular a McCartney fan his low blows were particularly cold.

His death is a shame. He was such a troubled person, I can't imagine him ever being happy, except for perhaps in the moment. Many people would dismiss him as a monster, and perhaps they are right. But a vicious dog is typically an abused and neglected dog. For the short term, while respect for his family should be important, perhaps in time we will learn more about the origins of MJ's obvious madness. I think it is an important story to be told.

All controversy aside, the fact that the Thriller album has eclipsed the controversy and held on to its power, speaks volumes about his artistic genius.

I am fixated on the coverage, perhaps in a morbid sort of a way, but really, it has just brought back all these memories of dancing in my bedroom as a kid. I feel as though one more tether to my childhood has been severed, and that I had forgotten it was even there.

No comments: