Monday, July 09, 2012

Bruges: Returning for the Night

Back in Bruges for the evening, what would be our last evening in this medieval town. Bruges is best at night, haunting, beautiful, sort of a romantic adventure. The few pictures that I have don't even begin to do it justice. See some of my earlier posts for better evening pictures. We roamed around the town, and had some supper, and I just decided to put up a few of the pictures taken then as a refresher.

I had wanted to finish the blog entries for this trip quite a long time ago. Kate and I went on this journey now over a year prior. Our lives have been busy with work and school and various other distractions that kept me from this enjoyable & narcissistic task. Kate appreciates these, because it sort of preserves the trip for posterity. It's too bad that I waited so long, because my memories are certain to be a bit foggy at this point.
 Below is one of Bruges many chocolate shops. This one was particularly interesting because they seemed to have a fecal fetish (see picture).
 Giant chocolate mouse, probably taking a giant chocolate dump. Yum.

 Above, I decided to do the touristy thing and have a big cauldron of mussels and fries, and of course a couple of Belgian Ales. Kate had a nice chicken dish and can be seen grinning out of the darkness. This meal was much better than the ridiculous Pizza Hut meal that we had the night before. For the life of me I don't remember what the names of my Belgian Ales were, I should have kept a notepad. Below, I picked up a couple bottles of beer to take back to the hotel room. I was looking decidedly more toasted here than I actually was. (although clearly I did not apply enough sun block). I was pretty exhausted after many kilometers of walking through the abandoned North Sea tourist towns and sea walks.
In the morning we began our journey back to Amsterdam where we would have another day before heading to Barcelona. Our Bruges Hotel, The Hotel Europ, is seen center above. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to stay in a hostel, but doesn't need a large American style suite. They had a great complimentary breakfast, and the rooms were very welcoming, with a touch of old styling. The price of course was right. They did have bigger canal facing rooms that cost more, but Kate and I figured we'd spend little time in the room, and most of our time exploring.

Amsterdam entry coming soon: Anne Frank house, and some more roaming.

No comments: