Sunday, October 19, 2014

Day 4: Oregon Coast Continued

I'm back from some travelling for work and thought I would finally get around to finishing this trip up, which I'll probably do over the course of several additional posts.


 Above you can see Haystack rock an "inter-tidal" out cropping on Cannon Beach. The Pacific water is supposed to be quite cold up in Oregon, therefore very few people are swimming. I think the currents are also rather rough, so before all of you New Englanders thump yourself on your chest- I think there is more to it than it seems.

 On this day we visited Astoria Oregon, which once had booming commercial significance but has now been reduced to a hip artist community. I apologize for the smudge in some of these photos, I believe ocean spray got on my lens on Cannon Beach. Those pictures without the smudge can be attributed to Kate. We drove along a scenic highway and the views from seaside hills and mountains were spectacular. For whatever reason we didn't take many photos, and the ones we do have didn't really do it justice.

 Again, let me apologize because these pictures are out of order. These shots are from a hilltop overlooking Astoria, and the mouth of the Columbia river. On top of the hill is the Astoria Column which you can climb to get an even more impressive view.
 This is a 'burial canoe' which was given to the Astor family by the local Native Americans, and it sits atop the hill with the Astoria Column.











 This picture was taken at Seaside, which is a beach community full of American tackiness. For those New Englanders think OOB, Hampton, or Salisbury, for others think Jersey Shore. After the beauty of Cannon, this was a bit of a buzz kill.

 Some photos from Astoria.










 Here we are up on the tower. Yay Vacation.
I'll continue on with more soon!

No comments: