Friday, June 06, 2008

I lied....

Said I'd continue the Germany posts today, but I'm putting it off because I'm tired, it's late, and when I put them up I want to do them right. I just don't have the time or energy tonight.

In lieu of this:

Sox vs. Rays: Brawl at Fenway

I was wondering if the old rivalry would continue between Boston & Tampa. It usually seems to stem from pitching incidents such as the ones that fueled tonight's game. I didn't see the game so I can't comment on whether Tampa pitching was gunning for the players, or whether it was just wild pitches that resulted in our two hit batters. Great pictures, check out the link.

Next:

Lesbian Kiss Sparks Controversy at Seattle Mariners' Ballpark

So typically I would take the side of the women, especially with the litany of ignorant comments I've read which were taken from people interviewed. Comments such as: "The usher, Guerrero said, told them he had received a complaint from a woman nearby who said that there were kids in the crowd of nearly 36,000 and that parents would have to explain why two women were kissing." Seriously, I feel for those kids... because apparently their parents don't have enough parenting skill to tell their children about the world around them. Sounds like an excellent way to build a trusting parent-child relationship.... avoid anything that is complicating.

But to look at the other side of the story:

"The women refused to modify their behavior, began swearing at the seating hosts and complained that they were being singled out for their sexual orientation," the club said.

So the women say they were lightly kissing, the Mariner's staff says they were groping. I think a bout of swearing.... after being accused of inappropriate behavior (ironic?) takes a bit of credibility away from the couple. I'm certain they were noticed more than a straight couple, but straight people shouldn't be feeling each other up in the stands either, and unfortunately for this couple, their orientation makes them more visible in a crowd, and this probably is not going to change any time soon.

I suspect this couple is taking advantage of their sexuality to blow this out of proportion. I am certain that in their minds they probably believe they are 100% right. I think in reality, both sides have valid points. In the couple's defense, the clearly prejudiced double standards that people have expressed related to this event, lend credence to their feelings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easy for you to say when you're not a parent. Who wants to take their 6 year old kids to a baseball game and then have to spend their time explaining about lesbians, especially if they don't agree with homosexuality? Nobody should be gratuitously making out at the park regardless of their sexual orientation - how about a little self-restraint?? Good for the Mariners for calling them out. And screw those two lesbians for playing the victim card, give me a break! If they were just sitting there holding hands and behaving themselves nobody would have bothered them. That goes for straight couples too.

George N. Parks said...

What exactly is easy for me to say?

If a parent can't handle explaining things... then they should probably really think about the whole "kids" thing... because that's what it is all about, a constant barrage of questions, if isn't lesbians it will be about the drunks... or the baseball players fighting...which in my book is much more deplorable behavior.

I agree that people should have self restraint... which if you had actually read what I wrote initially you may have noticed.

The real problem here I think may have actually been sourced to the way the guard handled it.... if he had just said tone it down rather then spefically repeating that the mother didn't want to explain lesbians, the problem probably could have been avoided.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt.. If they were just kissing... they have just as much right as anybody else to do that. People who can't handle it should grow up. Or, I hear there is a fine bunch of countries in the mid-east filled with like minded individuals.