Sunday, July 06, 2008

Another Independence Day has past...

My parents and my Aunt Gigi came to visit this weekend. My lack of blog posts was largely due to the preparations I needed to do and an increased work load at my job.

We went to the Charles River Esplanade and saw the fireworks accompanied by the Boston Pops. While Boston always manages to put on pretty much the best displays I've ever seen, this year's was absolutely over the top. My whole peripheral vision was completely illuminated at times and you could actually feel the shock waves from the fireworks exploding. People were generally awe struck. If there was a fault to the display, it would have to be the smoke from the multitude of prior explosions, which partially obscured the grand finale. This was likely more a result of an unusually breeze-free evening, than a consequence of any poor planning. One of the unique qualities of Boston's display is the synchronization of the background music to the fireworks. The shells are launched from a significant barge in the middle of the Charles river. It is estimated that over 500,000 people line the banks to be a part of the festivities.

While watching a special on television discussing the youth vote, I learned that John McCain's daughter, Meghan has a blog in which she discusses life on the campaign trail. Interested I decided to look through it.
http://www.mccainblogette.com/

I suspect if I met Meghan in passing, my first impression might have been that she is an air head. If you "google" her name you learn how many journalists and bloggers have tried to compare her to the likes of Paris Hilton. Of course I think if one took the time to make more than a passing glance they would have to seriously rethink this accusation.

While Meghan is with out doubt a ridiculous "Material girl" she also is articulate and shows social concern and intelligence that separates her from the stereotype. Her mere effort to follow her father's campaign, her interest in the political process, and her endeavor to attempt to provide another perspective for young people are all admirable. Her commentary is more an attempt to humanize her father and stylize and otherwise lacking campaign. Meghan reportedly does her blogging independent from the official campaign. The McCain camp's tolerance of this and apparent trust in the daughter of the Senator shows a refreshing departure from the controlled speaking engagements of Chelsea Clinton, or the Bush twins who seemed kept behind closed doors during Bush's re-election campaign.

No comments: