Sunday, July 13, 2008

Let's Go Fly a Kite.....

Or look rather silly trying!


The assembled kite... This was my idea of a creative Valentine's day gift. Kate often talked about trying to fly a Kite. We decided to give it a trial run because we thought it was potentially too windy to go kayaking (plan one).
Our first attempt took us behind Kate's brownstone at Beaconsfield. I don't have pictures of the first effort. We didn't stay too long, it was a bit sheltered from the wind and we were sort of outnumbered eventually by people playing fantastic Frisbee. Truthfully with the dismal return on our honorable effort, I was glad to relinquish more space to the Frisbee players for a more constructive use of the field.
Next we decided to douse our heads in the kiddie fountain in the park before regrouping and walking a couple of blocks to the Brighton/ Cleavland Circle Reservoir park.


As you may be able to tell from the photos, we had a bit of a tough time keeping it air borne. The wind was very sporadic, arriving in strong gusts, only to die down completely. I thought if we could get the kite high enough it would stay up there. Kate and I both had a decent run where we had it up for a couple of minutes, but unfortunately our luck really didn't improve.
Mildly frustrated, but enjoying ourselves anyway we decided to pack up the kite and walk around the reservoir.
Later in the afternoon Kate treated me to a steak at Bugaboo Creek in Watertown.
The weather turned out beautiful, the forecast had threatened clouds, and potentially even rain, but as you can see, the sky was nearly blemish free.
We'll give the Kite another shot at the ocean some time soon!
This light has been coming on in my car, it appears the air bag sensor is malfunctioning or something along those lines. However I have the sneaking suspicion my car is really trying to tell me that it has been thinking about decapitating me.
I'm going leave it at the car day spa tomorrow and hope that a little TLC will improve our relationship.

No comments: