Sunday, January 03, 2010

Another year

Well 2010 has arrived and here I stand upon the threshold of uncharted waters. I recall thinking about the future when I was 12, 17, and perhaps 20. I remember imagining, or assuming what I might be doing in the year 2001, or perhaps 2003. This year, however, was not present on the spectrum of my imagination.

I was not forced to think about 2010 in any respect until I stood there teetering at the edge, waiting to fall forward into this short but vast expanse of time in which history shall be forged and lives shall change. Even in recent times 2010 seemed like sort of a non-year, no that isn't really a good descriptor. It seemed like a vacuum. It is filled with uncertainties and it seems to contain no hard deadlines by which to chart my progress, and no concrete events by which to define my life by. Deadlines at work and potential changes in life seem to skip this year, and suggestive changes within this span seemed uncertain, undefined, and ages from now.

With certainty, there are some substantial events that will take place in 2010. For example, the U.S. midterm elections, which will hopefully begin to usher in better times.

I suppose in many ways 2009 was also rather uncertain for me. I had only some semblance of anticipated direction at the start, and yet 2008 seems both recent and far away. The past year represented extensive travel for me, primarily for work in which I spent time in Spain and visited several other European locations, but also for leisure. Kate and I travelled to Baltimore and D.C. where we explored and saw friends and family. We had a nice visit to Schenectady and upstate New York where we spent time visiting with Kate's Mom & Aunt, as well as one of Kate's high school friends. My close friend Jason Duplissis was married suddenly with short notice to Mary (Millie) Heatwole. I was pleased to be part of the wedding. Jason found himself someone who seems very kind, down to earth, and an excellent match for him on multiple levels. In early November Kate and I visited with my cousin Mandy, and her husband Ryan in El Mirage near Phoenix. We also toured much of northern Arizona taking in the Grand Canyon among many other sights. After the holidays Kate & I headed to NYC via the Fung Wah bus ($15) and took in the Metropolitan Art Museum, braved the Arctic cold a little and walked around Brooklyn and midtown, as well as had an enjoyable lunch with her friend Jeff. We closed out the year playing games New Years Eve with Millie and Jason.

Many changes for me were related to keeping a closer eye on my health. I can surely say that for the first time in my life aside from looking older I'm fully aware of feeling older too. For my part, I continue to look for ways to improve in this regard.

In closing, for a year that seemed like it should have been business as usual, 2009 changed me. I suppose I am more cautious, more aware of my limitations, and most significantly, more aware than I ever have been of how fleeting the moment really can be.

I need to be aware more of the moment at hand, what is good about it, what I can learn from it, and how it will make me a better person in the days to come. At the same time I must find that balance which allows me to take pleasure in the immediacy of life, rather than worrying over-extensively of anticipated, yet unseen bumps further down the road.

No comments: