Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The 4th

Today Kate and I were in Maine visiting my family and friends. My long time friend, Jason Chaloux was having a going away gathering as he is leaving for a tour of duty in Iraq tomorrow. Jason will be stationed in Ramadi for slightly over a year serving as military police. My thoughts will be with him over the next year, and I'm thankful for his service to our Nation.

Despite various political reservations I have about the war, we have a duty to the people of Iraq. The United States has a duty to establish and preserve the peace. It takes people of great character and strength to make the sacrifice to contribute to such a monumental task. We are lucky to have people like Jason who are willing to make these choices. I'll be looking forward to hearing from him over his service and for a welcoming party in Sabattus to celebrate his safe return.

After I walked Kate to the Subway when I arrived in Melrose, I returned to my apartment and watched the Pops celebrate the 4th in Boston. It made me feel nostalgic for the many 4th of July experiences I've had in the past, from the Mall in Washington D.C., to the mountain air of Laramie Wyoming, and presently to Boston where I've been so lucky to live nearby these past several years. The memories are all priceless. I'll cherish every one of them for as long as I am able.

No comments: