Thursday, July 12, 2007

My response to Yesterday's Comment

First off... I apologize for anyone I may have offended. However, it is fundamentalism, not Catholics, that I am critical of.

I do admit, I repeatedly tout my distaste for major organized religion. I don't like government, unnecessary structure, or people telling me how to think.

My admonishment of the Pope, Some Catholic priests, clergy, corruption, association with organized crime, using the lower class, blocking contraception and AIDS prevention in 3rd world nations... these things are going to continue. Do I think any of my good Catholic friends are directly responsible by association? No I do not. I recognize and respect that Catholicism is a faith that provides solace and a sense of community. I am at times envious of the devout.

That being said... fundamentalism is a universal term. We've been through this before.
I did not compare Catholicism directly to Islam. You need to re-think your accusation. Fundamentalism is the word... and it spans faiths. It is blind faith and allegiance to doctrine as though it were literal truth, rather than philosophical lessons. Belief in the words as literal truth (that have been repeatedly re-interpreted to serve various political factions), rather than the lessons of faith is what causes aberrant behavior by radicals. This is on the rise in all major religions... that is a statistic, not a comparison. This has happened prior to all periods of world history when great battles have been waged, and as they say history repeats.

The mere indication that I touch a nerve here is why I find statements like "We are the only path to salvation" problematic. It creates unnecessary division.

Bottom line is Benedict is trying to scare people or he is trying to offend people, more than likely both, and this isn't very Christian if you ask me. Catholicism is only picking up measurable amounts of parishioners in 3rd world nations and people who are low income or below the poverty line. The rhetoric of the Pope certainly isn't going to turn the tide. If I were still amongst the practicing Catholic ranks, I think I'd be even more upset with the Pope's remarks than I am as a bystander. Ultimately an inability to adjust will make the orginization obsolete, save another "Dark Ages" which isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility.

You are right this is traditional Catholic doctrine. And simply put, I have a problem with anyone who goes around broadcasting their superiority. Today's world climate can't afford such rhetoric... Christians and even secularists should be preaching unity against the radical Islamic threat. Prioritization must be made.

My tendency to be a little anti-establishment shouldn't be a big surprise anymore. As someone who never quite "fit in" in those formative years, it is the foundation of my very being.

Just shake your head about what a sad lost mislead man I am, try not to take it personally, (It definitely is not meant to be) and I'll continue to be confident and content, basically have faith in my own existence.

No comments: