Monday, November 19, 2007

Thursday Night: NYC trip III part 1

The bartender at this BBQ joint in the upper east side took our picture after we finished our meal. A bit blurry.... but it is what it is... The bartender may have been a manager as well because he seemed really eager to please. He came out and talked to us before we decided to eat there. He again ran out when he saw me snapping the picture, guess he's hoping for some word of mouth publicity. We ate here shortly after arriving in NYC. Brother Jimmy's appears to be a NYC establishment with a handful of locations on Manhattan.

We initially had a couple of other options we were seeking out, however this place looked really cozy so we changed our plans. Both Kate & I had pulled pork sandwiches although I had beans and coleslaw with mine and Kate had curly fries. I enjoyed a Old Brown Dog (beer) with my meal. After the bus ride from Boston it definitely hit the spot.
Moving right along this is me out front of the Old Carnegie Mansion, now the National Design Museum operated by the Smithsonian Institute. (The Cooper-Hewitt Museum)
Next this was a pretty Baptist church in the Upper East side. A door man spotted me unsuccessfully trying to snap a statue of a trumpeting angel perched on the church's corner. He offered to take this shot which turned out to be really unflattering, more so for me than for Kate. I've censored our faces appropriately.
The night pictures were tough for me, this was another church... the best of a couple photos. I learned a new setting later in the trip that I think helped with my focusing problems, unfortunately it was on the last full day in the city.
This is the Entrance to the Apple store on 5th avenue. This was pretty much the highlight attraction of that night. The store is located beneath street level and you enter through this glass elevator or swiveling staircase which descends into the middle of the store. The store used to be open 24 hours, I'm not certain if it still is. It was around 2-3 times the size of any of the mall locations for Apple that I've seen. Inside there were extensive displays of Ipods, and computers. Some were set up so you could play games (which we of course did). Even the line to purchase things was pretty cool. You basically put in your name, and an employee would call you when it was your turn.

Anyway, that's going to be all for now.

No comments: