Sunday, May 11, 2008

May I tell you about my Weekend?

Aha-ha-ha! What a clever play on words.


Friday night I got home, finished lesson 10 of my German tutorial... (I feel horribly ill prepared, luckily Europeans tend to actually learn another language) Then I watched Clay Pigeons starring Joaquin Phoenix, Vince Vaughn, and Janeane Garofalo. The movie was quite twisted with some dark humor and interesting plot twists (from the get-go). I felt that Vaughn actually stole the movie playing a somewhat atypical character for him. Well now I can move one more notch down my Netflix queue.
Saturday morning I woke up early, had my probiotics yogurt drink and a bowl of cheerios. Then off to the MMRF 5k at Carson Beach in South Boston. (Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation). My company Millennium (A Takeda Corporation... yes my company was bought out) sponsors this event every year due to their successful drug "Velcade" which treats Myeloma and Lymphoma. This was my fourth year in which I participated. My Time:



I don't believe the computerized system because it is about 2-1.5 minutes better than my best time, and I really for the most part didn't really push myself.... I did the first mile in 7:30 or so, but then at the two mile marker I was at 16:20, and I'm sure I slowed down from there. Kate thought that I finished at 26:57, which is more in line with my typical performance. Perhaps now I can really aspire to finishing in 25 minutes for a 5k. Well... with practice maybe.

The picture is shortly after I finished, looking a little dazed and a little high on endorphins. It was cold out probably mid 40s but a lot of people did show up, and Kate came out to watch too.

After the race Kate and I went our separate ways since we had some errands to perform in light of our Thursday departure to Germany.
Saturday Evening: Kate came over and I knew she had been craving a chicken wrap sandwich from the "99", which was fine because I had a hankerin for their steak tips myself. I think the last time I had gone to a 99 was during the Red Sox pennant race last fall.

I wanted to go to Kohl's and pick up a few new shirts so I chose to go to the 99 in Somerville by the La Quinta Inn. The place was populated largely with townies and transient people from the hotel. Our waitress was the type of woman who probably is smoking a cigarette pretty much non-stop when she isn't on the job. The service was blunt, rough, with the typical New England rude send up that is more prevalent in small towns than Boston. I'm sure she probably called both Kate and I "hon" or at least that's how I remember it. The service was very adequate however, even if she did want us out of her booth ASAP.

Sunday Kate and I headed to the Arnold Arboretum in Boston's Jamaica Plain neighborhood. They have an annual event that they call "Lilac Sunday". Supposedly it usually coincides with Mother's Day which helps to make it pretty popular. The Arboretum is a park maintained by Harvard University and is said to be one of the world's leading centers for the study of plants. It is a great treasure to have in the middle of Boston's urban landscape.

I thought I would include some pictures from the adventure. The flowers smelled good but my allergies did bother me a bit. I think it is some sort of tree pollen, and luckily wasn't related to the lilacs.
There were a ton of people wandering the Arboretum with their children and dogs. People were having picnics, and I am a bit jealous that Kate & I had not thought of that ourselves. We went to The Dogwood Cafe prior to walking around which is essentially a neighborhood pub. I had a pizza with peppers, artichoke hearts, mushrooms and prosciutto on it. Kate had a turkey and bacon panini. Kate's sandwich was a bit on the bland side, my pizza was decent, however I swear this place used "Ragu" for the sauce. The restaurant had good reviews, so I was a bit surprised that the food was not a little better.

Anyway, we had a great day wandering around. We split ways a bit early because of course we both needed to go home and call up our Moms.
Well I hope you like the cheerful flowers, and that everyone has a good start to their week!

No comments: