Sunday, May 04, 2008

A break from the Politics....

Friday my friend Jason Duplissis and I decided to spend some time hanging out. Despite that he lives in my building, he is seldom around due to the nature of his work. Jason surprised me with suggesting an event I honestly would never have thought of going to on my own. We went to the Boston Champions Cup which is essentially a "seniors" tennis champion. I got to see McEnroe and all his antics live. The officials definitely try to egg him on to throw the occasional tantrum. Courier and Arias were entertaining to watch as well. They traded barbs constantly between serves which was a crowd pleaser.

Results:
Fri. 05/02 7:30 PM
Jim Courier def. Jimmy Arias
John McEnroe def. Pete Sampras

Overall it was an enjoyable activity. I got to see history as McEnroe defeated Sampras for the first time ever, and as he said himself, probably the last time too. The tennis etiquette was interesting as well. Apparently you aren't allowed to get up from or go to your seat during play. We got held up at the entrance to the arena at one point when we got some snacks.

Jason and I had a good supper at the Brown Sugar Cafe and then later caught a late show of "Iron Man". It wasn't a movie I initially planned on seeing, but the good reviews convinced me to give it a whirl. It was good as "superhero" blockbusters go. It has a great cast, and even a little philosophy to it. I know very little about Iron Man so honestly I'm probably a poor judge on how true it was to the comic, all I can say is that it was entertaining.

Saturday Kate came over and we watched part of a documentary called "Country Boys" about teens growing up in Appalachia. We also caught "Raiders of the Lost Arc", which somehow Kate had never seen. Kate managed to fall asleep while watching it with me so I don't think she'll be accompanying me to see "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". We had some greasy fulfilling food from Liberty bell, and were mutually sad as we realized the weekend was coming to a close.

No comments: