Sunday, September 21, 2008

Rockport Adventures

The official last weekend of summer has come and gone, and Kate and I made it a good one.

Kate came over Saturday night and we had some spaghetti and meatballs with some bread and butter. It was a simple yet enjoyable meal. Kate had baked some brownies and brought some over and I had bought some ice cream so it was brownie sundaes for desert. Top that off with some diet orange soda and it was one classy meal.

Sunday was up in the air till noon or so, and Kate suggested going to Rockport, Massachusetts. She had been a few years ago and really enjoyed her time there. I myself had never been so I was eager to explore another picturesque New England seaport.

I sort of caught Kate off guard on this first photo. The town as you'll see from the photos is really quaint and pretty. The flowers are still in bloom and the streets were still crowded with tourists checking out the galleries, shops, and restaurants located in the many weathered shacks and homes that make up the town. This is a nice shot of part of Rockport's small harbor. The weather was a little cool, high 60s (Fahrenheit of course) but otherwise it was a spectacular day. There was a great ocean breeze that gave me some much needed invigoration as we strolled around.
The above shot is a look across the harbor at the granite cliffs where are a prominent feature of many coastal locations in New England.
A lone boat moves along with others only barely visible on the horizon.
We ate at this small cafe/ diner called the Red Skiff. We both really enjoyed our meals. Kate had a turkey club sandwich with some fries and I had some whole belly fried clams with fries and cole slaw, and a cup of clam chowder. The clam dinner was only $13.25, and the portions were quite nice. Regretfully I only thought of getting a photo of the food after I had cleared half of my plate.The faux lighthouse seen here is on a small street island off of one of Rockport's main streets. I was somehow amused by the energy saving light bulb inside of it.After walking around the town for a while we went for a short drive to Halibut Point, a small state park out on the end of a peninsula. Within the boundaries of the park is a quarry. We picked up a brochure at the visitors center. The park had numbered points of interest and Kate and I amused ourselves walking around finding them. It was sort of like a scavenger hunt for adults. One of the numbered attractions below were these pins that the quarry operators would use to split the rocks. We were reminded frequently by signs not to swim in the quarry.The park has some gorgeous coastline and we had fun climbing around on the rocks and pausing to enjoy the sun, the breeze, and the sound of the crashing waves.Peek-a-boo. The rocks were piled up before I arrived, it may seem tough to believe, but I don't have that much free time.I briefly considered asking Kate to take a picture of me drowning after I saw this sign, but I couldn't figure out how I was going to write about it and get it into the blog.The master is seen at work above. Well... hopefully next weekend will be another for the.... blog. Happy Monday.




No comments: