Thursday, October 30, 2008

Surgery Recovery: Day 1

Well I'm all in one piece after my torn labrum repair (ligaments in shoulder). My general anesthesia didn't make me violently ill or anything, but I was queasy afterwards, to the point where the cute Irish nurse attending to me gave me a second bag of fluids and held me in the OR longer to recover. They seemed a bit weirded out by how pale I was. It had been a while since I had bitten anyone in the neck, and so it was to be expected.

My Mom and Aunt Gigi came down and drove me to and from surgery. Afterward they picked up some goodies for me from Shaws Supermarket while I began what will be a week of vegging out and recuperating. Kate picked up the "George-watch" duty where they left off. She brought over a nice veggie platter that she made herself, which served as part of my breakfast today. Yesterday all I ate was a can of chicken noodle soup, a handful of grapes and a scoop of ice cream. You aren't allowed to eat anything after midnight, before surgery.

The Doctor gave me some Percocet for the pain, and a nasty smelling and tasting antibiotic, Cephalexin

I did manage to get some sleep last night. Kate came over to make sure I dealt with the drugs OK, and to keep me company. She'll be back again tonight, I look forward to it.

Well... as I am tired, and as I am not quite up to 2 hand typing yet, I think I'm going to cut this short and get some more rest.

I'll post my progress: Tomorrow bandage removing and my first post-op shower.....exciting!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey George - will you be ready for spring training, or did they tell you to shoot for the All Star break? Maybe you can help bolster somebody's starting rotation down the stretch drive.

If you think you feel bad now, just wait until Nov. 5. :{

Hope you are feeling better!

- Tim