Friday, September 05, 2014

Day 2 part 1, Morning in Seattle

In the morning we headed to the public market first for breakfast. Kate wanted to try Piroshky Piroshky which appears to be a big favorite. 
I had some sick pastry which you can see, it had blueberries and sour cream and it was so intense and rich I actually could not manage to finish it. And since I have a problem leaving food uneaten, that is really saying something!

 This is Art.
 In "Seattle Center" the former World's Fair grounds you can see the Chuili glass museum. It was $16 for a pass, and it was beautiful out so we decided to see that from the outside and use our imagination. I bet there's glass inside.
 No explanation needed. We were wishy washy about going up, we were in line, but then decided to come back at night when the rates were cheaper.
 This sculpture is deceptive, it actually is made from big rusted pieces of steel. I was expecting it to be some sort of fiberglass or something plastic. Simple but interesting.
The sculpture is a living exhibit, it represents the constant ebb and flow of existence and recycling of our environment. It was not my favorite but we needed to look at it close up in order to walk to Volunteer Park, a lovely Olmsted park. Look, I'm becoming part of the art, by design.
 This "lake" called Lake Union actually has a nice park near the end of it where we went aboard an old steam ship that was moored to a wharf. We sort of stumbled upon it and the woman let us on as a favor, perhaps half hoping that we would think about a cruise some day, but that was not in the cards. Instead we walked across this insanely high overpass which seemed like the only logical way to get to Volunteer park. I actually had a sense of vertigo here, as though if I were too close to the railing I would just topple over to my death. This is not normal for me, perhaps my morning coffee was too far in the past?


 This picture is seemingly meaningless, but it actually was our first glimpse of what we thought was "The Mountain" or Mount Rainier. I'm still not entirely sure this was it, we would see it later from the city, and to me it seemed much bigger once we were certain of what we were looking at.
 This is a "water tower" that we could climb in Volunteer park, which is where the picture of "The Mountain" was snapped. It had a nice exhibit on Olmsted in it, and there was an awesome breeze at the top which was a reprieve from the warm summer day which was borderline "hot."
This probably represented the midpoint of the day so I will end this post here. Up ahead, long walks, a troll, and fishy fishy. I know you'll be coming back to read about that.

No comments: