Monday, September 17, 2007

Re-interpreted Beatles, Steak & eggs, Sox

Mid September Entertainment

Well I had an eventful weekend, and hopefully all of you did as well. It began Friday night watching the Red Sox get pounded by the Yankees on TV. Jason and I ordered some Chinese take out food and had a couple of beers as we watched the game. Low and behold Dice-K actually pitched a decent game for a change. Of course this time the bull pen ended up blowing it.

Saturday was largely spent doing my errands and sleeping late. Eventually I met up with Kate at Wellington Station and we went to the Chipolte Grill. After consuming our "Peta" approved Chicken Burritos we went to the Loews Cinema on Boston Common to see "Across the Universe"<(official site). Across the Universe (Wikipedia) is a musical comprised entirely of Beatles tunes. Reviews of the film were mixed, noting the lack of a coherent plot or character development. They were legitimate critiques, however that being said, it was essentially an over 2 hour long music video. Often times it became quite psychedelic and incoherent separating from the story so significantly that it was irritating. Bono had a significant role in the film performing a couple of songs, and Joe Cocker had a cameo in which he also did some singing.

On Sunday Kate and I got up and headed to Soundbites in Ball Square. Soundbites has a lot of hype surrounding it. Nearly ever food critic in town declares that they either have "the best breakfast" or that one of their various breakfast items (pancakes, waffles, hash browns, etc.) are the best of their class in "the Hub". We had to wait in line 15-20 minutes to get in but this place did not disappoint. I had steak & eggs which came with Soundbite's signature grilled/fried mashed potatoes. I know the potatoes sound weird, but trust me... they are to die for! The steak was spiced and cooked PERFECTLY. Everything was delicious and affordable, and the atmosphere is fantastic, embodying an almost Latin flare.

Kate and I spent a lot of time walking around Cambridge and Boston after eating. The weather was gorgeous. Beautiful days should not be taken lightly as they will soon be fleeting.
I met up with Jason in Kenmore square later. Jason took me to the Yankees/Sox game for my birthday. I had a blast, and the game was riveting... even if it was anti-climatic when we eventually lost. We had some charismatic fans near us who routinely started wide spread chants. This always makes the game that much more fun. The past game I went to earlier this season, I was surrounded by rather comatose audience members who were more engrossed in themselves than they were the game.

Here's a picture of Jason and I at the game. We were seated in the grandstand behind first base. My one complaint is that I had trouble finding beer other than "Bud Light" at the game. I remember a time when there were many more choices.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First off - Soundbites is five seconds from my house - you should have stopped by and said hello. :) Second, don't be too bummed about not finding better beer at the Sox game - Sam Adams runs about 8 bucks a cup last I checked...not worth it.

--Scottie