Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Welcome Wednesdays

Per usual, Wednesday night served as an ideal fulcrum to my week. Monday and Tuesday are the longest days, but then there is Wednesday sweet Wednesday... Half the week is over and when you awake Thursday morning it seems as though you are only a breath or a heartbeat away from freedom. Freedom of course is the weekend.

After work this evening I met Kate at her place in Brookline and then we headed out to Moogy's. Moogy's is a hip little eatery on Chestnut Hill Avenue which is a short walk from Cleveland Circle at the end of the Green C line. After several years of trying different restaurants Kate and I haven't even come close to exhausting our options in greater Boston. That is one of the perks to living in the city I suppose.

Moogy's has a hipster/bohemian atmosphere and was established by Philadelphia natives. They specialize of course in (drum roll) Philly cheese steak sandwiches. While the atmosphere was decidedly more laid back and crunchy than Jim's or Pat's, (of Philly) the sandwiches were about as close as I've had to the real deal.

After eating we walked back to Kate's apartment and I picked up my book bag which I dropped off earlier. Kate's roommate Diane was watching the Sox/A's game with her boyfriend and it was pleasing to see that we were up 10-5. Kate and I left and began walking into the city. When we arrived in the proximity of Fenway park the atmosphere was festive. The chowder heads were smiling and my face was a reflection of the mood. The Red Sox had won and the fans were flooding the streets heading to Mass transit, cars, bars and their homes. Kate and I stopped and watched a group of street dancers in Kenmore square in the midst of the madness. These guys were intense... performing feats of flexibility and strength that belong in a competitive arena. We watched for 5-10 minutes, I threw a dollar in the bucket, and then we moved on. The weather was absolutely balmy and we enjoyed every minute of it. We walked to the Copley plaza where Kate got on her Green line, and I headed towards the nearby Back Bay stop for the Orange Line.

When I got home I decided to watch a Netflix film, after searching around a bit I picked Wilby Wonderful. This was a "slice of life" indie film... as the critics say. It was phenomenal, sort of a Freaks & Geeks for Adults. If you liked "The Station Agent" then you'll probably enjoy this movie. Sandra Oh of Sideways and Grey's Anatomy fame played a large role in the film. I pulled this review off of Rotten Tomatoes which is largely positive but does say it can be simplistic. I'm not certain I'd agree with that last bit... I mean what were they expecting Memento? But alas... perhaps I'm just a simple sort of guy (If there is such a thing).

Anyway... now I'm going to go to bed and wake up knowing that 60% of my work for the week is behind me... By the time some of you read this you may already have reached the 75% percentile!

No comments: