Monday, October 15, 2007

Friday... Red Sox implosion...Kate's Birthday

Well... Happy Birthday Kate... It is the official day, or the last couple of minutes of it as I write this. It has been a weekend long celebration for Kate starting with dinner on Friday night. Kate's friend Kevin was in town again on business with his coworker Julie. We went to Zenna Noodle bar in Brookline and had a nice meal. The cuisine is described as Vietnamese Fusion.

Saturday Kate and I got up and I made pancakes on the griddle that she purchased for my birthday last month. With some maple syrup from Jillson's farm in my home town of Sabattus, ME they were a heavenly delight. Kate and I spent the afternoon walking around Boston, specifically the Charles River. We decided on a whim to go to Thornton's Fenway Grille which is off the beaten track near Kenmore square. Located on Peterborough St. if you walked down the main routes out of Kenmore, you would easily miss this bar located in a small oasis of eateries including a Mexican, Thai, Greek, and sushi restaurant side by side.

I had intended to meet up with Tim Hayes who had organized a group of our friends to meet up and watch the second game of the Red Sox playoff against Cleveland. The group had decided to stay at the Baseball Tavern longer, so I went ahead and got food with Kate. I originally thought we'd all meet up and eat together, but I was starved and my stomach just didn't want to wait. As luck would have it Steve, Tim's brother ended up suggesting the Thornton Grille to eat, and everyone met us there. Kate not being a baseball or beer fan headed back to a quiet night in Brookline and I remained behind with everyone. Watching everyone eat was a bit weird, but lucky for me my friend John had also eaten. We decided to go outside in the sidewalk cafe area and drank our beer while John smoked. Soon we headed back to the Baseball Tavern, which I actually enjoyed. Some sports bars lack character, but the upstairs here had great decor comprised mostly of old black & white photos of baseball players. A moose head adorned one wall and it's rack held a baseball bat. The windows looked out at the back side of Fenway park, and we would occasionally glance over to see if a well hit ball could be spotted above the walls. Unfortunately as luck would have it, and otherwise great game imploded in extra innings with the Indians winning 13-6.

Sunday I spent doing some things around the apartment. Later in the afternoon I went out and got Kate a "cookie cake" and brought it over. We went out to Moogy's for steak sandwiches and walked around for a little bit. After I got home that night I slept well. I think I was still tired from the prior night of drinking.

Monday was a rather slow day at work. Thankfully I was looking forward to going to the Sunset Grill for supper which is just off of Harvard Ave in Allston. I had a Smuttynose Pumpkin ale with the grub. Kate and I ordered a half plate of nachos and a platter of "wimpy burgers" and "wimpy fries" (mini burgers). It was delicious. After our meal we walked back to Brookline for some of the cookie cake for desert.

Anyway... I think this is where I wrap up this weekend summary.

No comments: