Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My Super Social Weekend....

So Friday night I headed up to Maine early from work. I met up with Brandy in Saco. There was some running around, multiple phone calls and some jittery nerves as Brandy plotted on the phone with Michelle and Christine over the party plans. Brandy was to head over to Rosie's and help set up for the party. Rosie's is a small laid back pub in Portland's Old Port that is frequented by my friends in Maine. Since she was headed to Portland she dropped me off at John & Michelle's apartment where I met up with John and Jim Musson. Tim showed up shortly and after a few beers we headed off to Rosies. The plan was that Tim was going to try and convince John that the party was really somewhere else... somewhere more up scale. Tim said we were just heading over Rosie's for a few drinks before the actual party, which could be believable since this is how Tim's 30th birthday party unfolded. It was a valliant effort by everyone to pull it off, but I think John was on to everyone. When we walked up to Rosie's and "The Gift" from the Velvet Underground's "White Light/White Heat album was pouring out the door.... well I think at that point John knew that we wouldn't be leaving Rosies.

It was a good evening of beer, a shot of yager... (more like a cup) snacks, and of course conversation and laughing. John's friend from highschool Chris Buellens (sp?) was an interesting guy who naturally became a center of attention. One of the more amusing moments of the night came when he put Enrique Iglesias on the Juke Box and sang along with him. It was an unexpected event, especially in the midst of the music snobs that most of us are. It was hysterical.... bravo Buellens. I think the only way he pulled it off is that it was essentially the very anti-thesis of every politically incorrect, foul-mouthed joke spewed forth by him all night.

After Rosie's we headed to Amigo's (my favorite dive bar> sarcasm intended) for last call, and then on to Michelle and John's to close out our late night, or early morning (to be accurate). Brandy drove Tim & I back to their apartment in Saco. Upon arriving I promptly collapsed on the futon.

I was in rough shape the next morning.... Pabst always seems to somehow pack more of a punch.

Brandy & Tim drove back into Portland to pick up Tim's car and we had breakfast at Kathy & Dave's, a family restaurant/luncheonette on outer Forest Avenue. After we returned to Saco, there was a brief segment of vegging out before the 1.5 hour haul back to Melrose.

Once at the apartment, I took a brief nap, cleaned up, checked my directions... and then headed to Berwick, ME which is just over an hour away, near Portsmouth NH. Jeremy Viles was in town for the weekend. He and Chris Pike were headed to the Pat's game on Sunday. Chris invited several friends over to watch the World Series Game and catch up with Jeremy while he was around. When I arrived Chris's brother Tim, Brian Gregoire, and Chris, his wife Kerri, and Jeremy were already tipping back some cheap beer. Jeremy Storrer later arrived with his wife Lisa. When we weren't watching the game the evening was primarily spent rehashing old memories from St. Joe's. Jeremy suffered through some mild guilt or "gaining a conscience" as he put it in regards to many unflattering nick names he gave to both people he knew at St. Joe's, as well as the unassuming recipients, those he had seldom spoke to, if at all. Gregoire ended up regressing a bit (well... regressing would suggest that his sense of humor had "matured"....and it hasn't), and got a hold of Kerri's laptop.

The surfing began by attempting to find out what exactly caused urine froth after a short discussion on the topic. Froth, or foam, as in "the bubbles" in the bowl or urinal when well... you get the picture.

Jeremy used to use "the froth" as a running gauge on how intoxicated he was. As more alcohol is imbibed the urine becomes clear and froth-less as you continue to dehydrate. Brian and Jeremy were somewhat quiet about their search efforts when Kerri questioned what they were doing with her laptop. She hadn't been paying attention to them initially, and I suppose they were attempting to prevent an intervention that might have impeded the search process. This search ultimately bore little fruit..... Brian was pretty incompetent when it came to googling/ researching. I think he searched for urine froth, without reference to alcohol or dehydration. Urine content, composition, urea... all things he could have used. When suggested by others in the room the typical "In a minute...! In a minute!" response was blurted out, while Gregs was distracted with the shiny object of the moment. Dismayed with his poor googling skills, Gregoire moved on to looking up people on Myspace voyeristically (is that a word? It should be.)

Eventually the game came on. The early part of the game was rather slow, the Sox dominated, but only because the the Colorado offense was just a little more bleak than Boston's. In the fifth inning, Dice-K began showing his typical signs of fatigue, and he was replaced early in the sixth. The game got very competitive from this point out. I ended up staying until the 8th inning, at which point I decided I needed to begin my journey back to Melrose... despite the excitement. I listened to the remainder of the game play out on AM radio on the return trip.

It was good seeing everyone, especially Jeremy and Brian who I haven't seen in years. We joked (well not really..) that we'll probably see each other in two years. Brian asked if I could fit him into the schedule... I'll see what I can do.

Jeremy has gotten his 15 minutes of fame in a reality TV series called Big Medicine. The second season is coming up and Jeremy said he has some good air time. They perform some of the surgeries in his OR. I'm going to have to tune into a couple and see if I catch a glimpse.

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/big-medicine/big-medicine.html

Last on the agenda was hanging out with Kate on Sunday afternoon. We went to Margarita's in Waltham for lunch. We walked briefly around the river after our meal, but headed back to Brookline after.

Of course last on the agenda was the World Series. Game four was a good one. I got myself a small Pizza from the neighborhood joint "Theo's", and sat back and watched history unfold. Bobby Kielty's (oops realized my confusion on the train this morning... not hinskey... thats what I get for cutting and pasting) home run was a nice surprise and I thought Mike Lowell's MVP trophy was well deserved.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey George - Hinske's homer really was quite a surprise, since, well, he didn't hit a homer ... you're thinking of the other reserve outfielder, Bobby Kielty.

GO SOX! YAYUH!

- Hayes

Anonymous said...

I want an explanation pertaining to your rubbing down of Musson toward the end of the night. He said he has no recollection as he was ready for the couch. Any idea? It seemed to catch the eye of a few people. Some referred to it as a possible "pep-talk". Any anecdotes?

-John

George N. Parks said...

I have no recollection of said incident.... I do recall someone looking at me saying "Hey George.. George... It's my birthday.. It's my birthday! Look at me, touch my shoulders errrrrrrrrghhhh..... Michelle! George and Jim are being stupid! Go to bed Jim! GO TO BED DRUNK!! Hey Chris... Hey Chris..."

At that point Tim Brandy and I just deccided it would best if we left.

Anonymous said...

BIG MEDICINE Season 2 on TLC
Premieres January 9th 10pm EST/10pm PST/9pm CST

TLC’s hit show is back for its second season! Big Medicine returns with bigger and better stories than ever as individuals undertake drastic measures to take a bite out of their obesity. From a previously 1000lb man looking to take his first step in 7 years, to a devastated mother looking to complete her weight loss transformation after losing her daughter to suicide, the stories captivate, and inspire. We’ll see how obesity affects people’s sex lives, relationships and changes marriages forever. Tears will be shed, smiles will be shared, and hope will be instilled as Big Medicine proves there is light at the end of everyone’s tunnel!