Thursday, January 24, 2008

Mercy, Mercy Me.....

Another long winter day passes by.

I ended up staying at work till 8:00 today which derailed my plans to go to the gym.

I did manage to call up the Spaulding Rehabilitation Center, and I have my first physical therapy appointment for my shoulder coming up early in February. I had a bad shoulder dislocation back in 1998, and it has never been the same since. I comes out of its socket occasionally, and probably has 6 or 7 times over the course of the last ten years. It happened again this fall and I made my mind up to see a doctor about it. They gave me an arthrogram coupled with an MRI examination and discovered that I had torn ligaments on the front of my shoulder joint. The original injury, or dislocation is described as a Bankart injury. Due to the most recent dislocation (if not from previous ones as well) I have a pocket in front of the joint. The muscles are no longer tight around the joint, so in concert with the torn ligaments, this provides more instability making my shoulder feel that much more wacky. My orthopedist suggested surgery which I fully intend to get, however with work as it is I'll unfortunately have to put it off. So for the time being I'm going to strengthen the joint with physical therapy twice a week. (The conservative treatment) Several months from now when work may be more dedicated to documentation, I'll get the surgery.

So work was long, and that was a drag. I left work and headed for the Central Square Subway station listening to Mark Kozelek's "Rock n' Roll Singer" album. (Thanks Hayes) It is a pretty short album but it includes completely reinvented covers. ACDC and John Denver covers, together on the same album turned into melancholly folk-rock. Kozelek is pretty brilliant in the sense that he preserves the lyrics but with changes in interpretation, the songs take on a completely new meaning, often self reflective, and some times heart wrenching. ACDC's "You Ain't Got A Hold on Me" goes from being a sort of hard rock berating to a rambling ballad expressing insecurity and conflicted emotions. That song in particular is one of my favorites beside the title track. My friend Tim's obsession with Kozelek and his Red House Painters is deserving of credit. Kozelek's latest projects are through a pseudo band (really a solo project with a hired band) called Sun Kil Moon. Sun Kil Moon's last album was completed comprised of Modest mouse covers remade into folk-ballads. In April Kozelek will release, (drum roll) "April" on April 1st (or will he?). So there you go Tim... some love for Kozelek spewed forth.

So my mp3 player being some what mentally challenged sorts by the first letter of the first name of the artist, rather than the first letter of the last name (which is how I have it on my PC, and how I prefer it). That being said after Kozelek finished up Marvin Gaye followed up on my player. I was nearly at Oak Grove at this point and I hesitated because I almost made the decision to switch to some other music. Instead my indecision found my groovin along to Gaye and it seemed some how fitting as I trekked the 3/4 mile walk back to my apartment building. As the cold breeze made my cheeks tingle, as the dirty ice crackled beneath my feet, I stepped in time to "What's Going on". By the time "Right On" came through the head phones I was keeping a good pace in spite of the brisk weather, the rhythm keeping me moving ahead. I had a big sub for lunch and was going to forgo dinner, but alas I headed straight for Theo's and got a Pizza and a salad to take up to my apartment. Perhaps the sensual beats have a Costanza-like affect in my mind and just made me hungry... or perhaps, I'm just a sucker for food.

So with my meal I went up and watched what remained of the GOP debate. Romney was in better form than usual and this concerns me. McCain looked good as well and I felt at times he looked conservative where it counts. For example both Giuliani and Romney promoted Hillary-care style home owners insurance plans which would be run by the government. Man... are they trying to out "nanny-state" the democrats? Really don't give the classist party any more ideas!

Anyway, it is Friday (or should be when you read this) rejoice!

No comments: