Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Kate and I had a great Memorial day weekend, and of course I'm sad to realize that it is over. Friday I rode my new bike (I bought a new hybrid bike) into work which was spectacular. I'm looking forward to biking frequently throughout the summer. My friend from college Jess Wheeler surprised me on Wednesday mentioning that he'd be in town. On Friday night Jess, his friend Carly, Kate, and myself went out to the Sunset Grill. We had a nice meal and a couple of drinks and a lot of good conversation.


(Pictures: Memorial day parade, I believe this group of veterans hailed from Waltham- the three older gentlemen you see sitting across the street were heckling every one who came by, and yes they were drinking something out of red plastic cups, fruit punch I'm sure. Next: me with iced coffee...don't look at my leg too long, it may burn out your retinas, and last, Kate waiting for the parade.)
Saturday of course was my usual days of errands. Kate came over in the evening and I had prepared some BBQ chicken, Italian pasta salad, and corn on the cob per request. We are starting to get the good corn on the cob in the grocery store, a sure sign of summer.

Sunday Kate had suggested that we go watch the Memorial day parade in Somerville which is apparently the largest in Massachusetts. It was pretty long. Aside from the sky looking as though it might threaten us with a thunderstorm, the weather was gorgeous. We walked from Davis Square to Inman Square via Highland Avenue and some back roads.


It was a great walk, and we even took the time to explore the Somerville West End public library which is celebrating its 100th year anniversary. It is a great building with a beautiful interior, despite some obvious modifications that probably occurred in the late 70s early 80s (orange bookshelves and decor accents).
In Inman square we went to the All Star Sandwich Bar, and they made up possibly one of the best burgers I've had in Boston. Kate had a BLT and it looked spectacular. And the fries.... don't even get me started about the fries. Mmmmmm MMMMM!!!! If you live in or near Boston and you haven't been, you had better go. It is right next to Christina's Ice Cream and spice shop too so if you can manage to save room for desert (this time Kate and I did not) check it out.

On Monday Kate and I went out to eat at Zalek's Roast Beef and Seafood, which is a little sandwich shop in Wakefield, in the vein of Kelly's Roast Beef or Liberty Bell. The great thing about Zalek's, aside from decent food at good prices was the patio with umbrella tables to eat at. After a nice meal in the great weather, we played several games of tennis and followed it up with a nice walk at the Breakheart Reservation. There were people swimming in the pond, and actually the water wasn't too cold. We had initially planned on going for a bike ride, but never got around to it. They'll be plenty of chances this summer and fall to go again and again!

Happy Unofficial Start to Summer Everyone!!

No comments: