Monday, October 16, 2006

Weekend update.... by moi

What to say... what to say...

Well, I suppose I shall start off by saying that I had a fabulous extended weekend. Saturday was a day of accomplishment. I finally replaced the tire on my car (which had to be ordered... the whole lo-fi thing). I got a chicken pot pie from Harrow's and some "fresh" native corn & delicious rolls from the neighboring farm stand in Reading. It made for a savory meal that definitely bore a strong "fall" theme. I also got myself a small cooking pumpkin which I'll eventually transform into a pie or bread. Kate came over for the feast. Since Sunday was her birthday I picked up a Mrs. Fields cookie cake, which we did quite a number on over the course of the weekend. There was about half of it left in the end which we divided up.

On Sunday we went for a tour of Trinity church in Back Bay at Copley plaza. Trinity church is one of Boston's signature landmarks, and supposedly one of the ten most significant pieces of architecture in the country. It is a gorgeous site and I highly recommend it to anyone who gets to go. The tour commences at 12:15 after an 11:00 am service. Kate and I didn't attend the sermon, but I'm very tempted to do so in the future so I can see the masterpiece in its full functionality.

After this Kate and I had a quick lunch at the Beerworks. I had a burger, and Kate a massive salad, which I made a rather pathetic attempt to help her finish. We had a coupon and Kate's salad had $7 deducted (I think it was $8) from the price. It was Kate's turn to pay and due to her luck of obtaining this coupon from someone handing them out on Newbury street, it was a cheap meal. I had a pumpkin ale, but it was a little bit of a disappointment, I've definitely had better. It was a lovely meal however. Thanks Kate!

Next we saw The Departed. This movie was everything I hoped it would be. It had tons of Boston footage, it kept you riveted. Nicholson was great as "Costello" basically a Whitey Bulger knock-off. Irish mob big wig for those not familiar. The entire movie was well cast, and while some critics went after Sheen's accent.. it did not distract from his character's significance. Damon, and DiCaprio were excellent. DiCaprio became a brutal thug as part of an undercover assignment for the Boston Police Department. There were a few scenes where his "staged" hot-headed temper lead to intense encounters that made me cringe. One particurally memorable scene was when DiCaprio beat two Mafia collectors senseless after an off color remark about the Irish (irony?). Anyway, it was highly entertaining, and unpredictable. I highly recommend it.

Monday Kate and I went to the Body Worlds exhibit at The Boston Museum of Science. I took a well deserved day off. Over 200 cadavers were on displayed showing plastinated (preserved) bodies in various poses and modes of dissection. It was very cool. They exhibited prosthetics, cancer infected tissue, smokers and coal miner's lung vs. normal, and the impact of obesity on internal organs. They even had a plastinated camel. It is a traveling exhibit, so if you can't make it into Boston be on the look out.

Well, here's where the story ends. Till next time.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Minnesota Science Museum currently has an exhibit from Body Worlds as well. Sounds like a similar format, without the camel. Very Interesting and kind of reminds me of all those planeria slides I would always have to look at in Biology.

George N. Parks said...

Really big planeria!

Yeah the cross sections especially. They had some interesting cuts of the body that showed food still in the intestines etc.

The models are usually themed too, usually as certain types of athletes, or a bizarre sort of display, like making drawers out of the flesh.

Have you heard of the controversy? Just today a federal inquiry was launched into the possiblity that some of the cadavers may actually be Chinese prisoners.... which would bring cerain human rights questions into the show.