Sunday, January 07, 2007

It's all about the Pikes....

MY WEEKEND: My weekend was a busy one. Kate came over Friday and we ate copious amounts of pizza and bread sticks. Saturday we went to Kelly's for lunch and had their classic Roast Beef sandwiches, and fries of course. We then went walking up around the nature reserves in Medford/Malden, where I discovered a swimming hole. It said Medford residents only, but I'm determined to figure out a way to sneak in this summer.

Saturday evening Kate and I went our separate ways. We both had birthday parties to attend to. I went to Chris Pike's and it was this big poker shin dig. I kind of wish I had brought some cash, but alas I was foolish and forgot. I never play, but I think I could have picked it up easy enough.




These "Fake" $100 bills were handed out at the party. I added "color" & crossed out the "legal tender" bit just so no one accuses somebody of counterfeiting money or some nonsense. :D

Sunday was a good day. Kate & I walked from Wellington Station to Davis Square and went to Mike's (a favorite cheap Italian place of ours) for supper. Later I went to Borders and picked up "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho, and The Beatles "Love". Love is a remix put together by George Martin and son for the new Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas. The remix is different, & definitely preserves the craftsmanship of the Beatles. The most notable thing is how much crisper/clearer their voices are with the new technology used to put this cd together. I recommend it to any Beatles fan who doesn't think its too blasphemous. After all George Martin was called the 5th Beatle by some.

THE FINE LINE WHEN ONE PERSON'S DISABILITIES BECOME OTHER'S DISABILITY

Now perhaps this makes me an ass hole, but I can definitely say I completely side with the school on this one... although you know... YOU KNOW... that ultimately the law will be abused and the media will force the school to accept this dog.

The school is deathly afraid of this woman, the kid, public fall out etc, but at least they aren't just rolling over. They are currently not explaining themselves, because it will be unpopular. Well this is an instance of what is "Right" not being popular.



The CNN interviewer above is slightly... (and I mean very slightly) a little less of a sensationalist when it comes to his story. He does not ask the right questions, and the boy answers the question "Don't you think the dog will distract the other kids?" selfishly by talking about himself.

OK... so I'm a big jerk. Why can't the deaf kid have his dog? Why is this going to be an abuse of "The Americans with Disabilities Act"? Well... let me tell you.

The mother and son, admit that aside from missing his dog, (Awwwwwww) his learning abilities are not impaired. The boy has an interpreter which goes with him to all of his classes, so the idea that he "needs" this dog at school is complete B.S.

Next, bringing this dog in school would almost definitely aggravate several students in every class who will be allergic to it. According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, allergies to dogs or cats occur in approximately 15% of the population. Further more this trend has been shown to be on the rise. This translates to about 1 in 7 people..... actually 1 in 6.7 if you want to be exact. The allergies will weaken the immune systems of children, making them more susceptible to colds & flues which will in turn eventually put the rest of the school population at greater risk as well.

Additionally, this boy will have to have special privileges to leave class and allow the dog to go do its duties (Interrupting class). This will tax school security further as well, as they will need to have someone accompany him. (I guess the interpreter?) Where will the dog eat? Other kids will likely taunt the dog, or want to play with the dog.

This boy isn't blind, AND he isn't even completely deaf. He has cochlear implants allowing him to hear when there isn't a tremendous amount of background noise.

This whole event stinks terribly of a publicity stunt. The whole way it was set up, the way questions are answered in the interview. Note that it appears somewhat evident that the mother in NO way warned or approached the school about the need for this dog, but rather just sent the boy with his new best friend "Simba" unannounced. (By the way... isn't Simba a cat's name?)


You think this woman (the mother) might be distantly related to Cindy Sheehan somehow? Both are using the misfortune of their son to garner public attention and self importance. I suppose at least Nancy Cave is doing it partially for the pleasure of her son. From what I understand Sheehan was at odds with her son's military career, and one urban legend about her never getting her own son a headstone, is actually true. I'm particurally tough on Sheehan because I feel she is uneducated on her own cause, and is a disservice to the anti-war movement. She comes off as antisemetic too, and her proposals are unrealistic pipe dreams. (Sorry I digress)


What I'm really wondering is if Cave's lawyers are writing up a law suit proposal as I ponder this. I'll be REALLY surprised if they aren't.


There were several blind people who went to school with me (You know, the people who legitimately can use a canine companion?) and not a single one of them EVER had any seeing eye dog. That's because they are in a safe environment where it is not necessary. As the school said, there are certain avenues for pursuing such needs... and they are "special schools", e.g. "private schools". The public schools are very caring and supportive of children with disabilities. A lot of extra efforts "the interpreter" help the children make the most of the experience. The dog is over board. At least that's the way I see it. Next thing you know, she'll (Cave) get some left wing nutters behind her and demand that the school district should buy every blind and deaf child a specially trained $40,000 dog. I can already hear the campaign promises.


Yeah what can I say I'm heartless...(I'm not really, please read my summary in red at the end.)


The thing is there are private organizations that send children like these to private schools and donate money etc. This does not need to be made into some public debacle... but it will be. Honestly if your child is so disabled that they need a dog to follow them around I feel that requires a completely separate school, because unfortunately I think it will hinder everyone's education for the needs of a few otherwise. I don't have ANY problem with the government helping out families who have children like these, but to expect every school district to individually address it is unrealistic and unreasonable. This unfortunately is one of those circumstances where life just isn't fair. But hey, if the Cave's want their son to experience independence, what better way than going away to school for a few months? It will just more adequately prepare him for college.

No comments: