Monday, June 25, 2007

My weekend... a day late

I'll keep this brief and to the point:

Friday Kate came over, we had Italian sandwiches (made at my apartment) and corn on the cob. After our meal we had some soft serve at Soc's. I had half & half (my usual) and Kate chocolate with chocolate sprinkles. Saturday Kate and I began searching for a hotel online for a weekend get away to NYC in early August.

Saturday night brought Tim's Bachelor party which consisted of a pub crawl around Boston. The usual suspects were there, John, Jim, Jess, Nate, Tim's brothers, his cousins, and myself. Jess and Nate stayed in Melrose after the festivities. Sunday Nate, Jess and I had breakfast at the nearby greasy dinner (I forget the name) but it hit the spot. After we accompanied Nate into Kenmore Square so he could visit the Red Sox club house and buy a new hat. After Jess and Nate left for Maine I passed out on my bed for a couple of hours. Then I got up, visited with Jason downstairs, and then called Kate & my folks. This was followed by more hotel searching online. My deal breaker for hotels would probably be bad bathroom access... and bugs. I can deal with roaches... but bed bugs are definitely something I don't want to run into. SO I've been having a blast reading reviews on cleanliness and all of that jazz.

Anyway... nothing of note.

I watched a great documentary yesterday about Somalian immigrants, and the trials and tribulations they go through when coming to the U.S. It was on PBS as part of a series called POV (point of view). These charities that bring these people over really need to do a better job of preparing them for the United States. As admirable as it is to give them an escape from refuge camps they are getting neglected upon arrival. If they aren't better prepared for the culture shock when they arrive, then they need to be more conservative on who comes, and when they are allowed to come. The charities should concentrate on making things right for perhaps smaller numbers of immigrants at a time, rather than taking on mass assimilations.

Tonight I watched Vendetta with Natalie Portman which was quite a good little Sci-Fi flick. It reconnected me with my Libertarian sentiments.

We'll That's all.....

No comments: