Sunday, April 13, 2008

April Weekend....

HIGHLIGHTS: Why eating of course!

Kate and I finally made our way to the Pearl St. Restaurant in Malden which is located in an old train station. I grossly underestimated this place and was finally lured there after rave reviews from a coworker who lives nearby. Kate and I chose calzones from an expansive menu. She had a spinach and cheese calzone, while I went for a sausage, pepper, and onion calzone. We had a side of onion rings as a primer to our feast. I'm certain we will be going back to the Pearl St. Restaurant again.

Sunday we again... finally got around to going to Blue Ribbon BBQ in Arlington. We both had pulled pork sandwiches, which I think we agreed should serve as a litmus test for whether a BBQ establishment is a quality operation. Blue Ribbon passed with flying colors. Kate claimed that their vinegar BBQ sauce was much like the sauce she had in Tennessee as a kid.

I just finished watching the Red Sox fight off the Yankees. Delcarmen closed out the game tonight since Francona had decided to give Papelbon and Okajima a break due to heavy rotation. Matsui put up a tough fight at his last at bat while various heavily insulated Sox players (Manny was in some sort of Arctic parka in the freezing 45 degree F weather.... please note my sarcasm) watched on. Papelbon had a psychotic looking smirk... (as he typically does) as the last moments of the game unfolded.

In other news... I had some political things I wanted to rant about but it will have to wait.

I do want to post this because I think it is funny in the screwed up sort of way.

Keys Talks About Her Conspiracy Theories

Yes Alicia Keys is trying to step up her street cred.. or something... one more notch. I've always found Keys talented even though her music isn't my cup of tea. What has always been a little irritating to me was her transition from educated, well spoken artist... to embracing street talk that to me came off as flamboyantly fake. All of which occurred in a matter of months after the monsoon of publicity following Songs in the Key of A minor. Well I guess this is just the latest in an ongoing progression for Alicia.

From article: There's another side to Alicia Keys: conspiracy theorist. The Grammy-winning singer-songwriter tells Blender magazine: "`Gangsta rap' was a ploy to convince black people to kill each other. `Gangsta rap' didn't exist."

OK... so if we stopped here, one might come to reason that Alicia is against violence..... crazy theory aside (I assume rich white people created gangsta rap according to her assertion). But wait.....

Additionally From article: Keys, 27, said she's read several Black Panther autobiographies and wears a gold AK-47 pendant around her neck "to symbolize strength, power and killing 'em dead," according to an interview in the magazine's May issue, on newsstands Tuesday.

Hmmmm..... so she's militant.

And further still.. it gets even loopier: The bicoastal feud between slain rappers Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G. was fueled "by the government and the media, to stop another great black leader from existing."

OK.... so two idiots (and gangster rappers.... to Keys's prior point, brainwashed into being a cog in the evil conspiracy by their oppressors) who killed each other over some territorial pissing that wasn't even based on any religion or legitimate cause.... these guys were going to be great leaders?? They couldn't even lead themselves down an honorable path.

Sounds like Miss Keys has a few issues. Honestly.... stuff like this really shouldn't be laughed at. It sounds like this woman has been molded into a potentially dangerous racist. While she has the right to a public forum just like anyone does, people should be discouraged from putting any more money in her coffers. I fully suspect some of her wealth could end up funding a radical and dangerous cause. I think Keys needs to explain herself further or she may face deserved public backlash.

No comments: