Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A night at my Fenway...

The atmosphere was great, my Fenway Franks were delicious, and my beer was cold and over priced... AND I LIKED IT!!!

But then there was the little problem about the actual game itself. Tavarez pitched first off... and I fully expected to lose. They put in Snyder as a reliever, who's ERA actually was 3.46 to start the game... Not any more. Four errors, not counting countless embarrassing boggles of catches and just piss poor fielding. The culminating moment for me was when Manny caught a ball off the Monster and then spun around and threw it without thinking or looking. The ball went down as soon as it left his grasp, lacking any arc. It bounced off of the outfield about 20 feet from Manny and the whole team sort of shocked just stared in horror. I burst out laughing at this point, everyone booed. The guy sitting next to me said "I could have done that!". It was just pathetic and embarrassing. The bad pitching was the least of the problems. I'm wondering how high they'll let Taverez's ERA get before they finally figure out that he's barely worthy of playing single-A baseball, let alone in the majors. The Fenway crowd was unusually quiet. A highlight of the game was probably a guy up in the right field upper deck who tried to catch a foul and dropped it into the grand stands. First everyone laughed and snickered, and then booed him, shortly before they resumed booing the Red Sox.

My seat was GREAT, about 5 rows behind Pesky's pole almost right on the field. I've probably only had a nicer seat once when I was close to 1st base & 5 or 6 rows back. I do have to admit that my favorite place to sit in Fenway really remains the Bleachers. It's just so much more of a party out there, although you have to expect to be distracted by beach balls, but that's part of the fun.

There were these ditzes behind me that wondered why there were four "bullpens". They called the dugouts bullpens as well. They also did not know where Toronto was, and neither did there boyfriends.... who did know the words to some lame boy-band emo crap they played during the game. During about the 5th inning one of the girls asked why they played the "Blame Canada song". One of the boyfriends said, "oh I think you mean the National anthem?" The girl then proceeded to start singing the southpark lyrics to the "Oh Canada" tune. The other boyfriend interrupted saying "I think they play that at a lot of parks" Then the other one said... hey maybe that's where Toronto is? Other gems included "Pesky's pole is called Pesky's pole because its pesky", "Lugo is Lame", and "The green monster isn't very big". One of the guys was mesmerized with the beach balls over in the bleachers and his girlfriend said "Don't worry baby, those seats are wicked cheap, I can buy you those anytime!". These people weren't teenagers, they were in their mid twenties, but they talked with the dialect of stoned twelve year olds. One of the girls actually said "Oh my god! My parents are here too.. like wave at them! That's so totally cool!" Makes me wonder what her parents do, obviously the brain dead kid's got a trust fund OR SOMETHING.... and I can't really see doctors or lawyers bearing offspring that retarded (and yes, in this case retarded is appropriate to use).

Anyway Wednesday... I'm going to try and go to the gym today... Thursday I supposed to go as well and meet up with Kate after in Porter square for a quick, late supper at qdoba's. Mmmmmm burrito......

No comments: