Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Long day at work and a Phat dinner.

Today was one of those days filled with little problems that end up making you wonder how you managed to run around and end up accomplishing little to nothing. If that isn't enough I have this sense of foreboding that I forgot to do something before I left the lab even though I'm sure I compulsively double checked everything as usual.

I'm extremely tired, and I even have been having a slight tick in my left eyelid, it isn't quite of Thom Yorke proportions yet, however its getting there.

Tonight Kate treated me to dinner at the Phat bar and grill which I previously mentioned. It was quite dead, I hope for their sake business picks up.
Then she directed me to a neat used book (Lorem Ipsum Books) store just outside of Inman square on Hampshire street. I picked up The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving (

I'm really very anxious. I wanted to accomplish more at work today and I hope I can make up for it tomorrow morning. (sigh)...

The ciderhouse rules, A prayer for Owen Meany) and The Europeans by Henry James. Both books together cost me a massive $4.04.

I think I'll leave this post with a link to an interesting CNN feature:

Advice for W

1 comment:

George N. Parks said...

Yeah I didn't get that particular letter either. It really did not make any sense. Firstly, this person must be a child, or be very sheltered, for two reasons. In most of the U.S. $12-13 an hour is probably an average wage, not cheap labor. Additionally, how many illegals own homes :D!!

Legal immigrants are probably lucky to take in $10 an hour (Illegals even less!) working at one of our many fine fast food establishments or cleaning those hotel rooms. People who are anti immigration in the United states, simply put don't have a grasp on economics. The caucasion middle class is shrinking because we no longer have kids, the elderly population is booming because the baby boomers (a generation concieved at the end of WWII) are all retiring. This brings a problem, a huge glut of people making social security and medicare claims, and not enough working class to pay into the system. We need the immigration just to sustain our population.

The immigrants hold a spot that most Americans were in 50-100 years ago. They'll work for less and live in poorer conditions in order to provide a better life for their families. They take jobs that many will not take because they pay lousy.

There are a lot of ignorant people that seem to think that if immigrants weren't here Walmart would hire them instead and pay them $20 an hour. (a little unrealistic) Then there are others who assume that all immigrants are on welfare. Illegal immigrants can't get welfare. Myself, having lived in an apartment building of recently immigrated hispanics a few years back, I saw their lifestyles first hand. These people were hard working consciencious, and 6 of them would live in a 2 bedroom apartment with a rusted ford pinto parked out front. They were not people taking advantage of the system by any means, and I think they are very much a sampling of the average immigrant population. Being a hard worker and actually caring about things, realizing stuff isn't supposed to just fall in your lap is more than I can say for a lot of the white trash that exists out there. The only reason they probably think everyone else is screwing the system, because that's what their useless asses would be doing if they could figure out how.