Thursday, October 06, 2005

Phatt Boys in Harvard Square...

The Fab Faz... my gal pal Kate Fazio took me out for some fine dining and enchanting conversation tonight at a fairly new establishment in Cambridge's Harvard Square.

I had half a rack of ribs.. the slaw was quite nice. Kate had this monster BBQ chicken sandwich. I think it was a "Texas" BBQ chicken sandwich to be completely accurate. I felt the need to chide her for not finishing it... but I probably would have been hard pressed to finish it myself. One of their own brews is fittingly called Phatt Ass Ale... which I'm ashamed to say I didn't try. Perhaps next time.

The bar portion is in the transformed courtyard of the same building that houses Fire & Ice and a Dado Tea and Coffee House. There was a bit of an echo from the lofty glass skylights... but that just added to the atmosphere. Provided it isn't merely decorative, this looks to be a real deal brew pub, as the brewing tanks and equipment are seen behind a glass facade. Plenty of plasma screen TVs adorned the place so I could watch the Red Sox return to their true late/post season form. I've gotta keep the faith... or convince myself that I ever had faith in them to begin with.

I returned early from this night out on the town... good thing probably, because I have to get up early for Jury Duty tomorrow. Exercising my civic duty should be quite a blast... (yes that is sarcasm you are detecting).

My walk from the train to my apartment was oddly peaceful and hypnotic. Yesterday some latter day Peter Gabriel made its way across my Sony Walkman HD5 MP3 player within a shuffle. (Walkman HD5: 13,000 song storage... 40hr battery life... oooh la la, can't beat it... I'll take functionality over the I-Pod's sexy looks any day). Anyway... I was impressed by Mr. Gabriel and have found myself listening exclusively to him en-route to and from work today. My belly full of rib meat, the Boston suburban sky glistening with airplanes shimmering amongst the stars... I was mesmerized. I glided about in a semi trance listening to Peter soulfully rasp his prose. As the feel of the cement and asphalt reassuringly resounded under my feet, the halogen glow seeped through the fluttering autumn leaves like liquid through a bed of limestone. I could of walked all night in that intoxicating crisp air.

I don't have too much to sound off on politically today. No scratch that. I don't have the energy, or the patience to sound off on much politically today.

Here's something of interest. Its a bit old news I suppose but ongoing.

This is an exerpt of Associated Press work on the on going political game of back and forth over in Germany. "Following a two-and-a-half hour meeting that both parties described as exploratory, Merkel sounded more positive on the prospects of forging a new government than she has since she narrowly edged Schroeder in a September 18 election."

So as my understanding is somewhat vague on this.. I'll explain what I know... or what I think I know. Germany has a government which is structured more as a parliamentary system, not unlike the UK or Canada, than our system which is split three ways with the legislative, executive, and judicial branches. Our President is a reflection of who we vote for within our states, and if the electoral college (usually the popular vote) favors their election. Germany's chancellor who I believe is roughly the equivalent of a Prime Minister... is decided based upon who holds the majority in the Government. So currently, much like our Electoral college fiasco of 2000 where the Bush/Gore election was caught up in politics... Germany is in the midst of having to decide who gets to lead parliament, and what sort of Authority they may or may not have since it is so dead-locked. So far I guess Merkel (the conservative) has a slight edge, but it is so close that Schroeder has decided to stave off conceding. I imagine this situation is probably more complicated than our resolution of 2000 based on several recounts and a Supreme Court ruling. For better or worse... W's election was likely legitimate as only rulings with the most lax standards made Gore the victor and even then it was just barely. (counting hanging chads, incomplete ballots and votes for Pat Buchanan (chuckle) for Al... not to mention recounts were isolated to the 3 most democratic leaning counties in Florida... which is now, and historically has been Republican... nothing like Cubans Christians and old folks to get those red votes out) Anyway... We Americans... are deeply sorry that you are going through similar strife. I'd love to hear... because Jens... I know you lived through our fiasco stateside... what similarities and differences you see... and how you see it playing out. And please... educate me on my likely faulty knowledge of the German Government breakdown.

Also I've been told that not just anyone could read the comments posted. I've tried to rectify this in the blog settings... If someone (a non member) could test it out and let me know I'd appreciate it.

-Later

George

No comments: