Thursday, July 06, 2006

Spared a firery death

Well... I did not crash and die in my one day business trip. I was sure I was going to. On the flight home, I went to sleep, kind of thinking I wouldn't wake up.

Well, I exaggerate of course, but I was feeling anxious. I probably am still, but for the time being I'm having a momentary comfortable period of being comfortably numb.

It has been a long short week. I guess I'm glad that tomorrow is Friday, and yet I'm a little bewildered at new obstacles I've been faced with at work, and kind of wish I had more time to sort them out. It is always about too much to do in too little time.

At the airport before departing for Boston I had two Lancaster Pilsner pints which actually made me a little loopy. I finished reading Bob Dole's memoir "A soldier's story" in the bar. It was excellent. I'm usually not a fan of biographies or memoirs because often they are dry or are propaganda for some political or social concern. This book was neither, just a real inspirational story of someone perservering through numerous obstacles. Next I began reading Kurt Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle" which isn't failing to please. Here is a quirky passage regarding Vonnegut's made up religion "Bokononism"

In his "Fifty-third" Calypso," Bokonon invites us to sing along with him:

Oh, a sleeping drunkard
Up in Central Park
And a lion-hunter
In the jungle dark,
And a Chinese dentist,
And a British queen---
All fit together
In the same machine.
Nice, nice, very nice;
Nice, nice, very nice;
Nice, nice, very nice---
So many different people
In the same device


This "song" is regarding "people" who get tangled in your life for no logical reason, and that they are a member of what Bokonon considers your "karass".

Yes yes... weird I know,
but that's why I like Vonnegut.

He was sort of a precursor to "Hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy".

For those who couldn't be there or didn't catch it on the boob tube, here is a snippet of the Boston Esplanade Fireworks Display, sans music. I believe the closing tune was Neil Diamond's "We Come into America"... perhaps a blue state's ideals of immigration coming into their musical programming?



And lastly, I'm sorry Germany. Next time consider trying to get Italy to score a goal or two for you... It can work out nicely.

2 comments:

Living Dees Life said...

no way you could get me on a plane. nope nope nope.

George N. Parks said...

Ahhh.... Its not too bad, more of a chance you'll die in a car crash. It can actually be real fun and the views are gorgeous. Besides I do think that traveling is something we should all try to do if we can, and flying tends to be the best way.

I was just feeling tired, and sort of pessimistic and let it get the best of me. The flight over had some slightly bumpy air but I've had worse. The return flight was really smooth. Landing in Boston was gorgeous, I tend to fly more in the winter typically, so seeing all of the trees in bloom made the cityscape appear to be a toy train set model. The tree tops looked like brocolli, and everything is so beautiful with all of that green. It can be sort of brown and ugly in the winter (Outer Philadelphia was especially ugly with out leaves)

My post here was more my brand of tounge and cheek cynacism. Doom & gloom, its sort of funny... to me anyway in a real f-ed up sort of way.