Sunday, September 17, 2006

Journey to Jamaica Pond...or rather, greasy Chinese food.

It was Sunday afternoon in Boston and a glimpse of summer sun settled on the expanses of asphalt and lawns. This day in mid September was unexpectedly inviting beckoning us forth into its warmth. Kate and I lingered a bit preparing for our day, but in time we made our way into the urban landscape to enjoy the fruit of the fading season.

Words flowed off tongues about the "shop" and the "shuffle" as we proceeded to attend to an agenda previously conceived, but never achieved. Our feet flowed over concrete segments periodically cracked by natures gentle corrosion until we stepped off the platform. After a momentary hesitation the train which would bring us to our destination creaked to life. Oak Grove gave way to the Mystic, through industrial decay and tunnels we meandered until finally arriving at Forrest Hills in our metallic chauffeur.

Kate and I were admittedly a bit weary from the race that is life. A bit of insomnia, Kate with a cold, and some unrealized hunger made our quest a bit strained. We headed up a hill towards the Arnold Aboretum regardless of our circumstances.

The initial plan had been to check out the Aboretum, where I had never visited, then possibly walk around Jamaica Pond. Ultimately the anguished needs of our bellies and our heavy feet caused us to cut our expedition short and head back to the city. A dream of cheap Chinese food danced in our heads.

It was a gorgeous day, and despite our brief time in its peak, the summer heat was comforting and pleasant. Our walk was highlighted with the scurrying of small dog, the laughter of children, and leisurely gliding of cyclists. It is some place we will definitely have to return to.

I tell you what... The Sox/Yanks game tonight has turned out to be one for the books. Mike Myers allowing the game to get all tied up, then Coco Crisp reaching above the wall to rob Posada of a home run. It was a beautiful thing. I suppose it doesn't mean too much now, but it has made for some GREAT entertainment.

Oh... and Caprio & Hayes... the game I saw with Kate had DiNardo as the opener then Taveras (the righty--who is now starting... probably leading to my confusion) as the reliever. My memory sucks when it comes to things like the closer details of the game. I confess that my status of a Red Sox fan, while having been very loyal and steadfast has been much more casual through the years. I'm envious in a way... but in another I can't ever see myself dedicating the amount of time spent by some watching multiple games a week, instead of several a month.

Back to this game 5-4 in the 9th...

Well I'm going to go watch now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DiNardo ... yes, our Rule V guy from the '04 season ... what's a Rule V guy? Well, it's nothing I would expect a CASUAL fan to know ... but that's OK! - Tim

George N. Parks said...

Admittedly I did not know what the rule 5 draft was so I had to look it up. Apparently the gist of it is "Rule V guys" are minor league players who aren't "protected" by their organization, and they sort of become minor league "free agents". The catch to this is the pick, or Rule V guy, must be kept in the majors for the following year, or offered back to their original team for half of a $50,000 selection price. Anyway if I didn't explain this right here is a web page that does:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/columnists/askbarule5.html

You'll have to copy and paste, because apparently links don't work out of the comments.

Apparently there are only 10-15 Rule five players a year, making Dinardo quite a rarity. Unfortunately I'm not completely certain Dinardo was quite the quality he was hoped to be... but perhaps I am wrong. I distinctly recall being pissed off most of the time I've seen him on the mound.

Thanks Hayes for that segment!