Sunday, February 11, 2007

Alien sketches and cookies


Another weekend past and an excessively LAZY one at that. I got virtually NOTHING accomplished other than sleeping. Oh... I picked up a roll of quarters at Shaws to do laundry, I just didn't actually do the laundry. I didn't go into work, I barely neatened the apartment.

Kate came over Sunday. We met at Wellington station on the orange line first and had a fulfilling meal at "The Texas Roadhouse". We savored our wonderful rolls and cinnamon flavored butter. We both ordered steaks, however I got a Caesar salad and mashed potatoes where as Kate got a house salad and a baked potato. My choices were better ones of course. Later we went back to my apartment and decided to bake some toll house cookies. In addition to a decent batch of cookies we made a giant one on a cookie sheet. We decorated it with milk chocolate frosting and candy coated Valentines Day Hershey's kisses. I ate too much sugar today. While our monstrous cookie was baking we got on the subject of painting children's faces. For one event in Wyoming I painted children's faces at a community fair. I mentioned that I created a popular design which was an "alien head". Little boys especially really liked this alien head and wanted it painted on their faces. Kate impressed by the fact that I could actually create something that others liked (nice faith in me huh?)wanted to see it. So I drew this very simple design. While I was busy continuing to bake more cookies Kate occupied herself from repeating this drawing and "improving" it. This was drawn on the back of a grocery receipt. The big alien head closest to the bottom was mine. Next in chronological order, Kate's first alien was the slightly lopsided looking one, bottom right. Next she drew the one on the left (sans "hair"). Kate then decided the neck of this alien was too wide and proceeded to draw her next alien head directly above my original. She then proceeded to give this one long hair... perhaps it is a lady alien. Next she added the spiked hair to the alien head bottom left. Kate finished her artistic endeavours with the top alien which is supposed to be a "punk alien". Yes that is a Mohawk. This concluded my lazy weekend.

I did finish reading "The Last Templar" by Raymond Khoury which is in the same vein as Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code". Although interestingly enough the author struck a tone suggesting it would be irresponsible of an archaeologist to reveal historical evidence documenting Christ as a mortal rather than the son of God. It was an interesting work of fiction, that theorized about what might have happened if similar events were a reality. I think Khoury severely over estimates the impact any find like this would have, because I believe it would not be "believed", and would be discredited.

Now I'm going to start "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho.

Well I have a big day of report writing ahead of me, so I need to get to bed.

No comments: