Sunday, February 25, 2007

PLEASE EXCUSE MY EMOTICONS

The Events of my Late Winter New England Weekend

I had a hectic day ( 8-S ) at work on Friday, things didn't necessarily go as planned. I guess I haven't been entirely pleased with the course of events lately on my job. A "slow down" in my work load never quite happened due to events beyond my control, and complications in staffing have perhaps even increased our burden. I do my best, but I'm trying to take heed not to burn out in the process.

Arcade Fire tickets at the Orpheum in Boston went on sale Friday, and promptly sold out by the afternoon. Unfortunately I dropped the ball and just made a move too late yet again. I've missed the Redsox sale (I suddenly stopped getting the mailing list stuff in my email!), the Shins, Clap your hands say Yeah, the Dears, and now Arcade Fire too. Kate continued to try and get tickets during the weekend while I was in Maine, but had no luck. Bummer :(

So I went to Maine over the weekend. It was my Aunt (Gigi) Virginia's birthday and my parents were going to have a dinner for her on Saturday night. Aunt Gigi decided she wanted pizza for her birthday and we went and got take out from a new pizza joint called "Athens Pizza" in Lewiston, which was some of the better tasting Greek-style pizza I've had. It was perhaps comparable to the "Andrea's Pizza" chain down here in Massachusetts. We of course had birthday cake too.

As I was headed to Maine, I got in touch with John Madden and visited with him and Michelle on Friday night.

It was the first time I had been to Michelle's place, which is an apartment above her sister's house in the Bayside neighborhood of Portland. She has a very sharp sense for decor that combines an element of bohemian stylings with some of the latest trends you may see on various TLC programs. Bright lime green paint in her kitchen/ living room and the deep red of her living room provided an excellent canvas on which various art work, and photography by Michelle herself, personalize and yet also dignify the walls of building that has design that is very similar to that of an old country farm house. I quote TLC specifically... (even though I'm certain from what I know of Michelle, it was likely from her own creative mind) because she had ripped out the carpets of a couple of rooms and painted the plywood, something I've seen several home improvement shows suggested for cost efficient and fashionable makeovers. Some oriental throw rugs coupled by some worn pieces of vintage furniture create a very artistic and comfortable feeling in the space that the designer dweebs sitting around at pier 1 and/or urban outfitters strive for but are never quite able to grasp. Pre-packaged expression is a contradiction of sorts. True style can't be commercialized... it is individual expression that makes your environment special.

I was sort of envious of what she had created, and apartment life in a complex only allows you to personalize your space so much. Truthfully I'm sort of a plain decor kind of guy and I could never live up to that sort of standard when it comes to my own sense of interior style. That being said, I'm overdue on getting myself a new piece of artwork for my living room.

My visit was very good. A lot of talking and a lot of listening to music. I should have brought a note pad with me :D because John kept on rattling off authors and artists I should check out and seriously, on four hours of sleep, with no supper and several beers in me... my coherence wasn't particularly high. ;I We went to Rosie's for some conversation, and then returned to Michelle's later for music & conversation, and some satisfying chips and salsa. (Really... is it possible for chips and salsa to not be satisfying?).

John & I talked politics for a while... he even suggested that I should read "Culture Warrior" by Bill O'Reilly. Must be the Hayes effect ;) . It seemed John was unaware that I come from very Republican roots, and that I actually voted for W back in 2000. (I have amusing memories of Brian Gregoire & Jeremy Viles calling me a fascist for being a member of the college republicans at St. Joe's) Of course last time I voted for Kerry, despite loathing him. I am quite anti-Bush as you all know from reading the blog. They say that most people become progressively more conservative as they age... but I'm willing to admit, I've become progressively more left-wing. I try to keep an eye on all sides, and I like to think of myself as an independent, so perhaps eventually I will consider this as a read, although I think the guy's primarily an entertainer. John was a fountain of cultural knowledge as he usually is, and supplied many other interesting reading and listening suggestions. Out of my friends, while pretty much everyone has contributed to my entertainment interests along the way, its fair to say that John has had probably a bit more influence on my musical collection than most.

Saturday morning.... well OK it was more like 12:30, I woke up with a mild hang over, showered, & brushed my teeth. John's phone rang for about twenty minutes straight... somehow Hayes accidentally called him. John has this razor (I think) for a phone that lets you program rings for select people. Tim's ring is the NFL theme. This theme kept on repeating on loop the whole time I was in the shower. I debated in my head about just shutting it off, or opening cracking John's bedroom door and tossing the phone in with his sleeping mass... but I did neither. When I was done doing a half-assed job of grooming myself (No shaving... and I forgot my comb) I went over to John's door and said... John are you awake? After a brief pause John replied, and several minutes later the NFL jingle ceased with John's intervention.

John & I headed out for a quick lunch at a Jewish Deli in Portland called "The Full Belly Deli". It was a nice little place in an old strip mall next to where Child World & Mardens used to be. With a full stomach, we parted ways in the frigid Maine wind, and promised one another we'd get together soon.

I went up to Sabattus next for Aunt Gigi's birthday. That night after everyone had left and gone to bed I struggled to stay up and watch SNL. Dwight from "The Office" hosted, and Arcade Fire was on, and I sadly watched and thought of the show I probably wouldn't get to see :[ . I slept well that night with a fire roaring in the fireplace, and the wind howling outside.

Sunday I had some left over pizza for breakfast & quickly prepared myself to head out to Brookline. I unfortunately was late. Kate told me I'm developing a reputation of always being late which makes me kind of sad :( . I had always prided myself on being early previously, so this is definitely something I'm going to have to work on. Ahhh well, I guess I can't be perfect ;)

Hope Everyone has a good Monday! I know I'm likely to be dreadfully busy... so, here I go, off to bed to be full of sprite.

No comments: