Sunday, March 26, 2006

3 cheers for food!

I had a lovely weekend and of course it went by way too fast.

Saturday I spent recuperating from my cold. Saturday night Kate came over. We didn't do much other than lounge about and watch T.V. Sunday we of course watched the phantom gourmet. We batted around different ideas with what to do. They day was a bit dreary, and the initial plan of walking around the reservoirs or around Boston never happened. Caruso's Pizza was closed for Sunday (that was to be lunch) and instead I decided to satisfy a craving for fried clams. We went to Sea Witch in Peabody, which was a quick drive up Route 1 to the Peabody border. The clams were nice. I liked the place, it was an old fashioned, almost diner like layout for the dining room. It had these funky Formica tables which had some sort grey & white print on them. I want to say it sort of looked like birch bark or something. There was a fish market there too. I'll have to check it out the next time I have a craving for steamers.
After eating we decided to go catch a matinee. Since I had picked out a couple of movies in a row recently, Kate evened the score with "Failure to Launch". I will say it was the perfect movie to see for the dreary day. It is a sort of light hearted romantic comedy and had plenty of laughs in it, some involving weird animal attacks from unexpected critters.

Watching the Phantom Gourmet is quite a past time. Kate has actually been taking notes, although I'm not quite sure we've enjoyed the fruit of this labor quite yet. Soon we will, I'm sure. Well, I suppose our Pizzeria Regina visit was Phantom inspired. Anyway, the Phantom brought some exciting news this week. The empty Krispy Kreme in Medford (the one visible off of Wellington Station on the Orange line, right on Rt. 16) is soon to become the newest location of Kelly's Roast Beef. Apparently Kelly's lays claim to the fast food roast beef sandwich as we know it. Prior to their intervention, apparently roast beef sandwiches were thought of as counterparts to "hot turkey sandwiches" & tended to be made open faced with copious amounts of gravy. So I guess a little franchise called "Arby's" (one of my favorites) owes a lot to this Massachusetts nostalgia joint, which I, perhaps ignorantly always called over rated. I do hate their service however. Every time I go to the Saugus joint there is about ten people working the counter, and eight of them were staring into space.
Last week I took Kate there for some fries, and We stood in line about twenty minutes, and a cashier, not doing anything just stared at us. Finally I asked... Are you open? When I got there, he couldn't figure out how to ring in a medium fry and another employee was guiding him through every step (I thought I was being nice, but Kate informed me I was being sort of an ass... and I guess I was but the kid deserved it) I asked him, "Are you a new trainee?" And his weird response was "No this is actually my 21st day on the job." I then said "You should have just said yes..." After ordering the fries it took about another ten minutes. I also hate their system of calling out names. If this was a tiny place serving 2-3 people at a time, it would work. But when you have several lines at once, and they are calling out 3-4 "John & Sarahs" at once... It doesn't exactly work like a well oiled machine.
Kelly's Moving in for us Orange Line Folks!
Even better! The article above says that a "Not Your Average Joe's" is moving into the new "Station Landing" development next door. I love that place! Now there will finally be one convenient to get to rather than Arlington or Watertown.

Also, to make the out-of-stater's envious I invite you to check out their homepage... take a gander at that Lobstah Roll YEE HAW!

Kelly's Roast Beef

Anyway... I have some deadlines this week which I'm not looking forward to meeting... can't wait to see how that goes! Have a sweet Monday everyone!

No comments: