Tuesday, March 28, 2006

An Inspiring Image and a Divisive Debate

I finally saw "Bend it Like Beckham" after receiving it in the mail from Netflix. I admit, I really didn't believe all of the hype, and thought it would simply be a "feelgood" little girl's movie that happened to be British. After seeing it finally I have to say it is brilliant!. It is a real class act, and they don't often make movies like this anymore. It is honest, basic, realistic, and heart felt. It explores hardship, prejudices of not only society, but from those that we hold dear. It is the type of movie that sends you off believing that there is hope for all dreams to become a reality. It is simplistic in that it is a reflection of life, but complicated in the detail of the image reflected. If I had a top 25 list of all of the movies I've seen in my life, I think it would probably muscle its way in. I know I'm behind the pack on this one, but if you haven't gone out and rented this one, do yourself a favor and put it on your short list.

I decided to add a little more about the "Immigration Debate" currently consuming our nation.

The following article explains the differences in the McCain/Kennedy bill which is supported by the President, and Bill Frist's proposal which mirrors one approved by the House of Representatives. I support something closer to the first proposal (Check it out, I'm agreeing with not only the Prez... but with Teddy as well! Pigs can fly!) Frist's proposal is a divisive one with unrealistic ideas on solving this problem. They seek out the ignorance vote. Penalties imposed by the bill will bankrupt many businesses if enforced, if not just by the draining of their work force alone. Frist's Bill is a sure way to derail our economy, I'm sure if it passes... and it does hurt the economy, they'll probably try and say it is the immigrants fault as well, and lots of bigots out there will lap it up like water.

A look at major immigration proposals

Enjoy! Make your own decision! You may be held up in traffic by a protest soon, if you haven't been already.

No comments: