Sunday, March 05, 2006

Fried Onions and the Oscars

This evening I enjoyed watching the Academy Awards. Truthfully one of the primary reasons I watched was because Jon Stewart was hosting. I probably caught a portion of last year's ceremony but I generally find Chris Rock tired. His jokes seem to be about 80% derivative of race based themes, and I find it unoriginal, HBO, not the Oscars, is the proper venue for such laughs. I've enjoyed Steve Martin & Letterman in the recent past, and I've been luke warm on Billy Crystal. (Notice I've forgotten Whoopie... well not really) Stewart did a good job. His humor was a bit muted and more conservative for the broader audience. My favorite joke of the show was when they did a montage of clips from films that addressed social issues, and Stewart followed it by saying "And because of these films these issues are no longer problems, thank you us!".

In light of the Academy Awards subject, I wanted to take a moment to address a related issue. I feel for many, especially some members of our elder generations, that a major deterrent from watching the Oscars is the often blatant political overtones. For all of the critics of this, (I must admit that I myself have been) I believe that it is misplaced. Nowhere is there a more appropriate forum to air political statements than through these outlets of art and entertainment. In a bit of hypocrisy those who may critique outspoken artists on the other hand criticize them for not setting a good example with their role model stature. So which is it? Should they speak up or shut up? I can say without hesitation that this is an impossible choice to make. Regardless of their opinions I commend those willing to speak up and try to make a difference.

I think many of the nay-sayers who shutter out these American cultural events, are just afraid of certain truths that may be revealed to them.

Politics aside, I was pleased regarding several of the awards. Reese Witherspoon was very deserving for her award portraying June Carter. Walk The Line was one of my favorite films of the past year. Reese accepted the award with great poise and I believe that she is one of the stand up individuals and intellecutuals to come out of Hollywood in recent times. Then of course, "Wallace & Grommit" is officially oscar material! A few of us dorky fans perhaps will now get some more respect (yeah... I know, unlikely :D ). I was surprised by "Crash" winning best picture. I'll have to rent that one. I'll also have to see Brokeback Mountain to officially see what all the hype is about and develop a fact based opinion. I respect the universal theme of love that the movie addresses, I've heard however, that the nominations are more "political" based, rather than on the actual quality (comparitively speaking) of the film. I'll let you know what I think once I see it.

My weekend was good, I did a little spring shopping... Filenes is looking really sad now days, RIP. Kate & I went to Bugaboo creek in Burlington. It is much smaller than the one in South Portland & seems to be more of a favorite for children than the Maine location. But the food was the same delicious hearty grub. We had a bunion onion for an appetizer followed by our main course, which we could hardly eat after stuffing ourselves with bread and fried onion.

Anyway, I hope everyone's Monday starts off the week well!

No comments: