Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Rosebud & J.C.

I had a lovely dinner tonight with Kate at the Rosebud diner in Somerville. Nifty little place, it even has a full bar.

After getting back to Melrose, I finally got around to watching "The Last Temptation of Christ". It was quite good, Peter Gabriel soundtrack and all. I was pleasantly surprised by "David Bowie" appearing as "Pontius Pilot"... who's name I'm quite certain I just miss-spelled. It brought a lot of flash backs back to childhood "CCD" and, for that matter, church in general. I didn't find it blasphemous at all. I can see how the nudity must have freaked out some of the die hard Christians. I mean, we all know that nudity and flesh supersedes violence and hatred as a greater evil (sarcasm intended). If we compare the popularity of a certain little gore flick made a couple years back, to that of this one in question, (which seeks to invoke empathy for the poor, and love as a healing all power) I think you can gather the reason for my frequent discontent in the state of humankind.

Also, I could imagine people walking out on the end of this movie, if they went into assuming that Martin Scorsese would ultimately twist religion to fit his own ideals and agenda. However if they saw it through the end, I think they would see that Christian philosophy is preserved.

Most people unfortunately are ignorant, and have tunnel vision. They hate to think that they are wrong, that their parents were wrong, and they'd sooner accept the status quo when it comes to an often flawed flavor of morality, than adjust for gained experience. Thinking outside the box, is not the average man's strong suit. In the absence of logic, fear seems to have a stronger grip on society.

I noticed one interesting deviation in this film. I was always taught that Judas betrayed Christ on his own will. This movie actually has Christ requesting that Judas show the Romans who he is. It did actually correlate well to the story of this movie, although I'm quite certain this wasn't the way it is typically told in the gospels. Perhaps my memory is just foggy here however.

No comments: