Sunday, March 12, 2006

The leisure of exploring history


I had a SUPER DUPER, SNAPPY SPIFFAROOO weekend! Nice & relaxing, I can't complain. On Saturday Kate & I made it up to Walden Pond & Concord. It was the first time either of us had been there. We did a lot of walking around, checked out the state park as well as the quaint historic town. We even walked around a large old cemetery and went to "Writer's Ridge" where Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Louisa May Alcott are buried. The cemetery was very peaceful, and beautifully laid out on terraced ridges near the edge of a town composed of Colonials, Victorians, beautiful churches and grassy commons. Many if not most of the graves are likely old enough not to have any living family members to tend to them. There were some flowers on Louisa May Alcott's grave, as well as some obviously hand made rudimentary wreaths of dried brush. Likely some young fans of little women, perhaps local youth that one day dream to inspire others through literary greatness.


On a related note, I found this nifty site when verifying the names of the most well known authors buried in the Concord MA. cemetery. I've always found cemeteries fascinating (just in case you weren't aware that I'm a weirdo) If you share this fetish, you'll appreciate this page. Funnily enough I was wondering if such a thing existed (actually the one in my mind would be even more detailed and comprehensive, but I was even surprised by the existence of this one).
Find a grave
So, with this neat-o tool you can search by locale or by person in the United states for graves of notable people.

Personally I've always thought of cremation for myself. Realistically I know one day my grave will/would likely be just another of many meaningless stones. It could be vandalized, and it will likely be forgotten. (I know.. I'm such a fountain of joy :D ) Not to mention cemeteries could be moved of disassembled entirely, if there are no notables there. It happens, although this occurrence tends not to be newsworthy. Cemeteries are a poor use of land, not to mention plots can be, and usually are, really expensive. I think bringing my ashes to some mountain top would be pleasant. I should think of a few places I'd like to be scattered.

Anyway, after a vigorous day of gallivanting about and enjoying the nice weather, Kate & I ate at Friendly's in Bedford. We ate too much really, but the fried junk food was very satisfying.

I went to work today for a bit. I wanted to go to the Gym afterward, unfortunately the Porter square Bally's apparently closes at 6:00 on Sunday. Since I only had about 15 minutes of work out time, I walked back down Mass Ave rather than taking the train. I stopped in the North End on the way back to Melrose. I had a couple of slices of fine Ernesto's Pizza for supper while mindlessly watching the Bruins under perform. After this quick consumption I left and walked to North Station before the game let out.

Some more pictures... Some of my fun with the scanner, a weird sort of angle of me covering my eyes hovering over the scanner. Rather unflattering, definitely amusing, my teeth are straight really they are, I even had braces :D !
Next, fun with photoshop as I superimposed my face on my hand. I'm still working on how to properly blend the colors, this was the primary reason I changed it to a gray scale. The face if from a picture a few years back on an old company ID. I had this stash & goatee. I erased the goatee because I think it makes for yet an even more amusing effect.
Last, Chad Dixon, myself, & Jens. This was taken in the Chad & Jens apartment in Laramie, the year after I left. I don't know what it is with me and leaning in photos, I never seem to stand up straight. It is sort of like how some people close their eyes in pictures, I always seem to lean towards someone.

Well here comes another week, and loads of fun, I just know it!

Anyway, Take care all!

No comments: