Sunday, June 25, 2006

Briefly....

Briefly,

First... Apologies for no new material on Friday. I had a busy week last week, compounded by a weekend getaway to the White Mountains which started early on Friday.

Additionally I must apologize profusely to those of you who had to remain behind near the New England coast during this weekend threshold of summer. The suffrage of a continuing deluge will hopefully abate, and be promptly replaced by bright skies and summer breezes.

I was blessed to take in the crisp mountain air under partly cloudy skies. This weekend was one for me to remember, one of those moments which will flash before my eyes when that time comes. It is something I always take with me where ever I am and where ever I go.

We have to all take pause and realize this is what we live for. There are moments that define what is beautiful, what is grand. There are moments that breath the spirit of the earth into our souls. For me, this getaway was a moment such as this.

Tomorrow, I'll take the time to detail some of our journeys and review our minutely significant Appalachian conquests :D.


Most of all I'm so lucky and grateful to have someone like Kate to spend time with and experience moments such as this.

Tonight, I watched Shopgirl. This is the latest "Steve Martin" penned book, turn movie. Don't think the Jerk or the three amigos. This more along the line his works like "L.A. story", "Novocaine", and "Roxanne". The film was initially released to mixed reviews, but for what it is, I found it to be excellent. Separating from some of Martin's other works, this film is more drama/slice of life/romance than dark or witty comedy. Jason Schwartzman adds comic relief as the awkward but sincere scruff who pines for Claire Danes's (the shopgirl) affection. An added bonus is Sun Kil Moon performances, and appearances on the soundtrack. Mark Kozelek is in the movie quite frequently.
Rotten Tomatoes Reviews of Shopgirl

A Kozelek oriented Shopgirl review

I'm a huge Martin fan so my opinion is obviously biased. Roxanne is classic. I will say I caught part of "Cheaper by the Dozen" on TV... and that was AWFUL. But I suppose they weren't catering to people like me when it was made.

No comments: