Friday, June 30, 2006

Pub Crawl...In the lab, well sort of.

At work today with in our "larger" department, every group visited each other's floor or area for a tour and vittles. It ate up pretty much the entire latter half of the day.

Our floor did a fourth of July theme which went over well. I think for the most part we had the best food of anyone. Christine rented a hot dog cooker which spun each hotdog individually and had a spot for steamed rolls. We had the option of beef, chicken and turkey dogs... (we couldn't find tofu on short notice). Additionally we had Sheldon's buffalo wings Mike's guacamole, blueberry & apple pie, cupcakes, potato salad, celery sticks, Sam's Summer ale with Lemon, regular Sam Adams, Blue Power aid, Red punch, and sprite (A red white and blue drink mix) Chris and Sheldon projected a fireworks MPEG onto the wall using the meeting projector and Sheldon's laptop. Oh... chocolate chip cookies, I'm sure I'm forgetting some other food... peanuts! There was still more. On top of eating & drinking at several other Pharm/Sci department lounges it was a fulfilling day.

The tours of the labs of other departments were nice. I'm always complaining that I feel we don't know what's going on in the rest of the company. I held off of going for a nuclear magnetic resonance demonstration because I was told it would demagnitize the credit card strips in my wallet. I'm not sure everyone was told this, we'll see if any problems develop. I'm a little bummed I missed it, everyone was ooohing and aaahhing.

ENTERTAINMENT
I couldn't sleep last night and I ended up watching this ridiculous comedy show called "Strangers with Candy". It was hilarious. It had Stephen Colbert in it, and the star was a woman named Amy Sedaris. I googled her and found this neat fan site. The following link is an assortment of weird "facts" about her and it had me laughing out loud.

About Amy

So the TV show, I find out is now being made into a movie. Here's Amy on Letterman being quirky and weird promoting the film. I though she had to be an unfortunate looking woman after seeing the show, but she has a total rubber face much like Jim Carey as is evident in the letterman clip below. Actually she's quite fetching. An amusing related sampling from the about Amy website above:

"When Paper magazine named her one of New York's most beautiful women, she showed up to the photo show looking unkempt, with unwashed hair, and had a make-up artist make her look battered and beaten."

Be warned, its long, it is for the bored and curious with time on their hands.



I think I'll have to check out the movie, I'm a stickler for weird comedy. It definitely has a very Indie sort of vibe.

No comments: