Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Mosquitones, S&S, and the trials of a pixelated being

A measurement of your age and/or ear health. (gotta keep that volume down on the mp3 player!)

This is an amusing piece of news:

Teens Turn 'Repeller' into Adult-Proof Ringtone

The ringtone is a noise, originally omitted by a device called "mosquito" which shop keepers would buy to keep away loitering teens. The theory is many people over twenty can't hear it, and almost no one over 30 can. I can still hear it. (Yipee!)

Here's the site, there is a link to download the noise on the npr article above, that one you can actually (or I can hear better) than the actual mosquitone site.

Mosquitone site The first beep you hear isn't actually the noise, so go to the right page and try again all you (fellow) old farts out there.

I have to have the volume turned up pretty high so I suspect younger people hear it more without doing this. It is a high pitched noise, much like a mosquito in your ear. The mosquitone site has several tones of varying intensity. I can hear the first two well, and actually the second one better.


My Personal Tuesday Experience

Kate and I met up on Tuesday night this week instead of our routine Wednesday. I have a class tomorrow in Westborough, MA which would likely make it difficult for our usual rendezvous to occur. We met up on a beautiful night in Central Square Cambridge, and walked over to Inman Square for supper at the S&S Deli. This place was great, much more than a classic Jewish style deli, it had beautiful deserts, an expansive menu, and a very nice atmosphere. It is an old area dinosaur, a Cambridge landmark since 1919, but it has an elegant decor, that is almost "trendy". The prices were really reasonable, and they had a decent beer selection as well (mostly bottled, I had Bass from the tap). After a nice meal we went to Christina's for a fabulous sundae that we split and couldn't finished. I got about 1/8th of it on my shirt (let me take a bow). I would definitely recommend this little find. I think Kate read about it in the Improper Bostonian, and I've been sort of luke warm of going there after a mediocre meal some time ago at Zaftigs Delicatessen in Brookline. That place also gets rave reviews from the critics, but I thought it was over rated and a little pricey for what you got.

For more info on S&S for you locals: S&S Restaurant


My youtube find of the day PACMAN! Pretty amusing

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your new "Personal Experience" section. I will be tuning in often for more on the world of George! Kate

Anonymous said...

I've noticed a new site where you can download the mosquitone for free:

Mosquitone.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Looking for the much talked about mosquito ringtone?

www.jetcityorange.com/MosquitoRingtone.html