Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Seas are getting choppy

-for George Walker Bush. A rather common statement by Cheney, Rumsfeld and Bush has been, "We'll let history decide on the success of our efforts." Unfortunately the history books are starting to be written, and what will decorate those pages does not promise to be good news for anyone.

It is bad news for George Bush, who led America blindly into a misguided, poorly planed, attempt to sway an entire region of the world into his mind set. If anything, his efforts have swayed these people further away, increased the perception of the U.S. as untrustworthy, and supported the spread of "radical" Islam.

George Bush is quite possibly the biggest screw up that the United States has ever had at its helm. The last of Bush's loyalists are now quickly jumping off a quickly sinking ship.

Tony Blair has come out saying that the situation is a "disaster".
Blair: Force alone can't beat terrorism
It is interesting that Blair's staff is trying to pass off the "disaster comment" as a slip of the tongue. A Freudian slip perhaps?

Here's an article commenting on the fallout: Blair does not concede Iraq a disaster

Much more surprising than Blair, and perhaps invoking an "Et tu Brutus?" from the Bush administration is Henry Kissinger. The slimy thing about this is Kissinger has been giving W advice on how to conduct the war. So he is criticising what he helped create. Dare I say, a very Rumsfeldian act? I guess you can expect much more from someone who was an architect of the Vietnam war and a former Nixon advisor.
Kissinger: Iraq military win impossible

One thing that W has going for him is the off-loading of Rumsfeld. The legislative branches seem eager to replace Donald, in order to bring about desperately needed change.

Senate Leaders speak well of Gates

Henry Kissinger mentioned that it is perhaps necessary at this point to actively engage surrounding Islamic nations in assisting with temporary control and stabilizing Iraq. I think this is probably something that is in every one's best interest, however the association of an Islamic nation with the west has become such a stigma, it may be a difficult prospect at this stage in the game.

John McCain, who I admire as a politician for his independent views, has mentioned increasing the amount of troops in Iraq. I'm not sure at this point this is a viable option either. Basically, the United States does not have the military to send to Iraq, and it is something that should have been done from the battle's onset. At this point we have been worn down, and I fear if North Korea, Iran, or even the dormant China (Think Taiwan) should get feisty in their desires, we could be forced into making detrimental draconian battle moves, or inaction. Neither of these options are particularly thrilling.


I invite everyone to read this article on a recent John McCain speech, because I think it paints an accurate picture.
McCain: Send more troops to Iraq or face threat at home

I can't blame people for not wanting to jump on this bandwagon. I mean, I'm not going to give up my life at this stage to fight in this battle if I don't have to. (Honestly I would probably really suck as a soldier, you'd want me fighting on the other side so you could blow my head off while I was tying my boot)

Unfortunately McCain's solutions are some which an increasingly pacifist west will never embrace. (I really don't see them as feasible without a draft) McCain's solutions are probably, coupled with some increased involvement of other Islamic nations... probably the only real solutions to a problem that the Bush administration created. Yes, that's right if Bush didn't attack Iraq, Al-Qaeda would not be there, and we'd be fighting them in Afghanistan in increased numbers, and perhaps trying to resolve other pockets like Somalia.

We are naive to the increasing faith-based violence of the Islamic world. To paint a picture of the Islamic world and show everyone what it is becoming would be "politically incorrect". We can do this intelligently without insulting the decent people of Islamic faith. Of course not attempting to engage in this could result in one of those scenarios where nice guys ultimately will finish last. If we continue on our current apathetic track with our blinders on, time will surely tell.

My World: I had a good weekend. Kate and I did a bit of planning for our NYC trip which will be coming up shortly. I'm hoping to get a digital camera so I can post some pictures of our adventures. I'm meeting Kate tomorrow night for supper which will be nice... and then Tuesday Scotty?, Mike? Kelly's Roast Beef and some damn good steak fries are calling out our names!

Well, it will be an indulgent week when it comes to food... to say the least.

No comments: