Thursday, January 05, 2006

jambalaya!

Kate and I went to our Wednesday night dinner at the Cheesecake factory. (3 guesses on what I ate) It will be our last Wednesday night dinner for several weeks as Kate is taking a course. (Sadness)

I bought the new Strokes CD I've been babbling about. You know who they remind me of? (heh-heh-heh....) The Walkmen. Seriously, this CD has really rekindled that association in my mind. It was a tired joke between Madden and I because I initially said the walkmen reminded me of the Strokes. John brought up U2 instead, and although I could see his association was much more relevant I was a stickler about giving in to my original conviction. I think the lead of The Strokes has a very Bono-like quality to his voice, and the clarity of vocals in this album coupled with a more pop feel and an occasionally faster past definitely makes this more audible. The song and lyric structure on several of the tunes is a new direction from past efforts that makes my Walkmen association more viable.

I think sleep deprivation is causing me to lose my mind. On the way home tonight I was thinking about butterflies and tadpoles. The obvious thought occurred to me that these two creatures are at the opposite stages of post embryonic metamorphosis. The fact that these two organisms randomly entered my mind together seemed like a bizarre coincidence. Both are common childhood obsessions, and yet are at such polar opposite stages of life. The mere concept of it all really rocked my world.

See... when you are sober, and your thought process meanders this twisty turny bizarre path. Then that's messed up right there. Of course no one has ever accused me of thinking ordinary thoughts.

May your Thursday be kind and gentle.

No comments: