Monday, January 23, 2006

A Roast, The Whistler, Deviant Jack and crafty W

I apologize for my blogging absence. I've had a pisser of a cold and my voice finally is returning today.

MY Life
Work was not too bad today. Still too busy, and still incredibly chaotic, and new wrenches continue to be thrown my way. In light of all of this it was bearable.

My Weekend was good. Aside from being sick, Kate & I saw the Producers which was hilarious. I especially like the madness invoked by the absence of Matthew Broderick's security blanket. Will Ferrel was in it as a deranged playwright who lives on a rooftop with pigeons. Perhaps even more ridiculous was the cross dressing director. The plot seemed fairly true to the original movie. I think the way the play's lead was chosen was different in this version from the original non-musical Mel Brooks movie.

I made a pot roast in my crock pot. It was lovely, I'm still nibbling at its remainders.

I'm eagerly looking forward to next weekend.

For Subway reading: I've started "The Hotel New Hampshire" by John Irving. Having already read "A Prayer for Owen Meany" and "The Cider House Rules" I thought that this wouldn't be much of a gamble. So far it has proven a wise choice and a quick vibrant read.

Musical find: I've struck gold! Gold I tell you! My latest Amazon purchase is perhaps my best in many months. Amazon has become my new preferred method of music discovery. As I no longer have time to actually browse Newbury Comics or Tower, now I can do so from the comfort of my own home. And it is better because, it makes suggestions based on my searches, and I can sample 30 seconds of each song. In addition Amazon is affiliated with Borders, so I got to use my Christmas gift certificate through them.
Anyway, back to my find: "Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production of Eggs" is nothing short of amazing. The songs on this CD are cleverly written and composed. There is a meshing of many familiar sounds, while additional qualities allow it to remain unique and original. There are moments of melodic haunting seemingly influenced by Nick Drake, while vocals tend to be a meshing of Jeff Buckley and Beck. The track "A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left" incorporates a haunting quality while vocal styling that resemble that of something from "OK Computer". "Fake Palindromes" has an eastern influence, dare I say George Harrison style? The musical arrangements are bold and eclectic while beautifully constructed. There is no learning curve for me on this album, it is immediately new and different, and at the same time immediately intoxicating. Eastern influences continue throughout the album coming and going in patches. Each song is surprising and exciting, and never do I feel like pressing the forward button. To those music lovers, and those who are fans of singer songwriters, you have to check this dude out. Did I mention he's an expert whistler?

POLITICS
Well consorting with the devil himself. W, Dubya, has been seen in photos with Jack Abramoff. Abramoff the corrupt lobbyist who was a major player in the Tom Delay scandal apparently knows and has conversed with Bush more than the administration is willing to let on. Now it is really going to bite them in the ass as people in the know are talking, and evidence is surfacing.

"Peppered for days with questions about Abramoff's visits to the White House, press secretary Scott McClellan said the now disgraced lobbyist had attended two huge holiday receptions and a few "staff-level meetings" that were not worth describing further. "The President does not know him, nor does the President recall ever meeting him," McClellan said."

For further info on this developing White house fiasco check out this article from the Times:

When George Met Jack

I've really just about had it with President Bush and this corrupt scourge that he keeps company with. When the hedonist, self serving, Clinton administration left office I really thought dignity was going to be returned to the White House. Instead what resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is a monster that continually gets uglier the wider that closet door creeps open.

Yes, the Clinton administration took liberties, and abused power. Some might even say their refusal to hand over documents to Independent Counsels paved the way for similar information control by this white house (Think Cheney & the Energy counsel).

Let us think back on the Clinton administration's many scandals: Clinton likely gave military technology to China, in return for their coaxing American businesses to make donations to his campaign. He pardoned Mark Rich for money from his ex wife. He took money from religious organizations. He rented out the Lincoln bedroom, to none other than Chinese dignitaries. Al Gore spent time raising democratic campaign money from his white house office (Of course this rule seems silly because flying around in Air Force 1 to raise money is legal, and obviously much more costly). Then there was filegate- several hundred FBI files of prominent republicans copied by white house employees with the intent to be used in campaigns. Ultimately a paper trail, which reportedly led to Hillary was shredded and some low level grunt took the fall. Then Travelgate, ---staff vacations on taxpayer dime.

Of course there was whitewater, Lewinskigate, Paula Jones, (For the record... the Monica Lewinsky thing was ridiculous, although I will make the point, that this behavior on the clock by a CEO probably would result in his or her removal or forced resignation). There were a couple of lesser known scandals as well, the untested Anthrax vaccine imposed on the military (A friend of Clinton's had close ties to the supplying biotech company), and of course fund raising infractions for the Clinton Library.

The thing is when Bush was elected the first time, many thought they were returning to a time of trust. However it is incredibly apparent that shareholders of companies, big business, and radical god fearing Christian ideology (we are talking dark ages sh*t, crusades and the inquisition really aren't that far fetched for these people, just watch the 700 club) are far more important to this President than what concerns the average American.

We have reached a horrifying new standard that directs the Bushies to their "Ends" by whatever "Means" available.

An excellent example of this was Bush's purported plan to bomb Al-Jazeera.
EXCLUSIVE: BUSH PLOT TO BOMB HIS ARAB ALLY

It is a good thing Blair was able to talk him out of that one. Too bad someone else couldn't have done the same with Iraq, and now we have no choice but to stay the choice and appear to be, I fear, exactly what Bush hoped we would be: "Crusaders".

It will be interesting to see where the CIA scandal heads, I think it is likely that Cheney, as well as Rove were involved. There was a time that I would be very surprised if Bush was involved, however his innocence, and feigned ignorance is quickly evaporating in my mind.

No comments: