Sunday, January 01, 2006

A Commencement

As mild winter temperatures gave yield to a newly fallen powder of crisp snow we can be thankful for this time of year.

It is a threshold, perhaps only metaphorical, if not down right theoretical. However legitimate or not, the launch of a new-born western calendar year brings us the chance to revisit our past and regroup and prepare for the future.
As we think of our achievements of the past, and plan what we would like to do tomorrow, I hope that we all seriously reflect.
Traditions are often taken for granted, and people just go through the motions not really giving them much thought. People may ask you what your resolution is this year. Typically people have the same insipid responses year after year. "I'm going to exercise more/ lose weight; I'm going to be more patient; I'm going to be more disciplined" etc. etc.

I'll be the first to admit, when it comes to New Years resolutions I'm a huge cynic. People come up with something to say because "they are expected to" rather than trying to have a resolution they'll actually work at. To not have a resolution would suggest that you are arrogant, self-absorbed, lazy, or all of the above. Or perhaps it is just because you have low self esteem.

Kate asked me what my resolutions were recently and I of course quickly responded that I didn't have any. For perhaps the first time ever, this was followed by "why?" I paused on this for a few seconds, and then I came up with the following.

Why do we have to wait for then new Year to begin self improvement? Shouldn't we do it all the time? If we aren't willing or determined enough to start immediately, are we going to be successful at making these achievements down the road? Kate met this with the observation that the New Year provides people with a way of measuring and planning, which people may have a difficult time doing on their own. Admittedly I scoffed at this notion, although I know it is true. Retrospectively, after this has stewed in my head... this artificial boundary can be an excellent thing.

I'll admit, I procrastinate. I think to procrastinate is human. I envy driven people and I always wonder what lights the fire under their ass.

There is a certain level of untraditional confidence involved in avoiding the allure of procrastination. My New Year's resolution is going to be to live up to my ideal that we should always try to improve oneself. Now, I think I have done that, the problem is I've been inefficient, and I've procrastinated. I don't expect to achieve perfection, I don't have a lofty goal, I just want to get better at making my self better.

So for all of you who are re-hashing some resolution of New Year's past. I hope you are actually implementing a plan of action... because just saying you are going to change makes you nothing more than a follower.

I hope everyone had a great Holiday, worked out their demons, cuddled, reflected, did whatever it is you wanted to do. With this New Year upon us, lets go forth and make some footprints in that newly fallen snow!

No comments: