Friday, January 27, 2006

Pleasant Sadness

I must say, I really, especially, have a lack of things to talk about.

I'm too tired to breach politics, not creative enough to think of something silly. There are no news articles, that immediately struck my fancy today, nothing that matched my cynical commentary anyway.

The most entertaining thing I found was a survey on favorite movie tunes.

Favorite movie tunes

Weird enough, I chose "Suicide is painless" from Mash. The lack of people with the same opinion made me wonder if it doesn't represent some deep rooted problem I'm in denial of. What can I say, I just like the song in all its melancholy splendor. I always thought it was oddly comforting and introspective, while still remaining sad. It invokes a strange "pleasant sadness" in me. Even, and perhaps especially without lyrics it causes me to reflect on my life. I can recall hearing it lolling me to sleep in the distance as a child, as my parents talked lightly to each other about their day. At this point, not wanting to sleep I would ask for a glass of Juice. "Moooo-mmeee, can I have a glass of juice?" It kind of makes me wonder if I was feeling the same way as a child that I currently do now. Some times I'm stuck between not wanting to go to sleep, but not necessarily wanting to stay awake.

Anyhow back to the survey... It is sort of amusing that Bostonians gave the snobbish answers, which I wouldn't expect if say the poll was based out of some suburban community. The themes from the Wizard of Oz, and Casablanca getting listed as the best. I'm sure it would match the opinion of critics. If I had choose again, I might pick "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" myself. Did anyone catch the "Scrubs" episode on Tuesday where they closed with the hospital acapella group singing "Somewhere over the rainbow" on the rooftop? They covered, a cover of over the rainbow that is performed by a Hawaiian artist on ukelele. This cover can be heard in the movie "Finding Forrester". Anyway, it was precious, I have to hand it to the writers of Scrubs for being able to combine absurdity and life philosophy so successfully.

Lastly, for not giving "Burt Bacharach" props for "raindrops keep falling on my head", I'd like to smack the writers at the Globe. Musical composition is important, and, in that particular example perhaps even more so than the lyrics. The lyrics to that tune could have easily taken a different mood, although I can't currently imagine it any other way.

T.G.I.F!!

No comments: